Sand vac or no sand vac.

To vac or not to vac.

• Total voters

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've just set up nano reef, 3 months after converting my 180g to FOT. What can I say, once your got the bug thats it. Lol.

And thought it would be interesting to know everyone's thoughts on vaccuming the substrate.

I'm stuck between decisions at the moment, ime sand vaccing definitely reduces nutrients, but on the other hand I want this tank to be super low maintenance as I travel for work frequently (not at the moment obviously)

We know that you decide to do this you should do it from the get go, or if your don't then it's best not to disturb it at all.

So. What is all your opinions and what do you currently do for your nano reef.

Let's see some of the nano. (apologies for the blues) 11pm.

20220106_214057.jpg

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, and without anything more than anecdotal evidence to back up this approach, I don't vacuum sand as I'm trying to achieve stability and I feel like disturbing it impacts on my systems overall stability. This has worked for my three tanks.

That said I do have a sandsifting starfish and my sand bed is pretty deep (6 inches).

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vaccum the sand Bad occasionally but usually only in the low circulation : high detritus areas. What I notice is that my water clarity is amazing for a few days shortly thereafter.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t vacuum my sand for tye following reasons: 1) it isn’t really that thick.
2) I feel like disturbing it might irritate some of the corals or release some harmful gases into the water. But I do siphon it every now and then just to remove any poop or detritus on the surface of the sand.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have vacuumed my sand from the beginning. Usually once a month. If I can turkey baste blow my sand and it blows up detritus then I give it a vacuum. Tank just turned 3.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Some very different views. I'm glad I asked . Good to hear what you are all doing that's good sure.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back