Sargassum Trigger Addition?

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank, I haven't set it up yet, but I'm planning on having a reef tank. I want a plan on what fish and livestock I'm going to have, so I was doing some research on different fish, and I came across the Sargassum Trigger. From what I've heard, they are fairly reef safe and in my case, would be a good fit. What's your opinion? When it comes times, should I go for it?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my sargassum! I also have a blue jaw with him in my 200g. Was a little dicey first couple days but they worked out their differences and have been together a few months now. Previously I had my smaller sargassum in a different tank. A 125g that's been repurposed to a cool water tank.

Both my triggers are not small I would say over 4 inches but less than 6. Neither one has ever looked at any shrimp crabs snails or corals wrong aside from a new peppermint shrimp that learned me that I had to assist shrimp down to the rocks. But even after getting a taste, they still don't bother anything that's already living amongst the rock. They are both model citizens.

Travis Warren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sargassum Triggerfish in my mixed reef. The only coral she bothers or takes bites out is my meat coral. I am probably getting rid of both meat coral because the she is a great personality in my tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be pretty darn reef safe. They, along with crosshatch and bluethroat, are planktivores.

A full grown one may be a little big for a 120 though. About 8-10" maximum length

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be pretty darn reef safe. They, along with crosshatch and bluethroat, are planktivores.

A full grown one may be a little big for a 120 though. About 8-10" maximum length

Agreed. It would look out of place in a 120g imo.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank, I haven't set it up yet, but I'm planning on having a reef tank. I want a plan on what fish and livestock I'm going to have, so I was doing some research on different fish, and I came across the Sargassum Trigger. From what I've heard, they are fairly reef safe and in my case, would be a good fit. What's your opinion? When it comes times, should I go for it?

Definitely go for it! One of my favorite reef safe triggers.

Travis Warren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you have button or meat coral with the trigger?
JPEG_1543371446249.jpeg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sargassum would nip a tentacle in my elegance coral now and then but not enough to harm it. Also to update I had to move him back to the 125g. One day he decided to go after my blue jaw. Had him cornered & nearly killed him but I got him out in time and they are both fine in separate tanks now.

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 125g tank that was mainly softies and it was a model citizen. it would get a aggressive during feeding and was almost always the first to get food.

sdcosta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my sargassum for almost 3 years now, has never picked at any corals but when hungry he does pick off snails. He also ate my arrow crab. Currently in a 125g but may move him to a 300 when upgrading

eshtog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in my mixed reef tanks with no issues.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Sargassum and bluejaw for a couple years now and a clown trigger I added 7 months ago. They don’t touch any corals and even leave the clam alone, figured they would eat it. My hermits have learned to only come out at night when the lights are out.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back