Save my loretos!

emperata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Desperate! Tank: 30g-lps dominant-14 months old-prameters normal (you know what that means) livestock: jawfish, watchman, cherub, two skunk cleaners, rics, one duncan, corky finger and cuc.

Two weeks ago, two 7-month old grammas started ***** flashing. Suspected flukes (fwd impossible). Prazipro full dose plus aeration. No improvement 72 hrs later. Second full dose. Shrimp, my canaries-in-the-coal-mine bellwethers fine. Now, 34 hrs after second dose, decline, some loss of color, extreme constant flashing. Flukes in spasm? Why color loss, esp. yellow tail fade? Eating well. No external spots etc.

Fifty years in the hobby and no clue how to procede. Anybody? Any experience? ldeas? Fishly yours, Jeff

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing the exact same issue, gramma flashing for weeks, losing colours, getting worse as time goes by, dosed prazi and it did nothing. 3 days ago it has become a full blown ich outbreak, treating with copper now.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Ich to me. Tank is 14 months old. Fish are 7 months old. Feed them some premium food with vitamins. I recommend TDO-C2 or EP1 and Selcon. Should get them over the hump and color them back up in the process. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm experiencing the exact same issue, gramma flashing for weeks, losing colours, getting worse as time goes by, dosed prazi and it did nothing. 3 days ago it has become a full blown ich outbreak, treating with copper now.
If you have fish in the QT…while they’re on therapeutic copper transfer every 3 days to speed the QT time up and also help the fish to recover quicker. Just make sure to pre-dose the new tank with therapeutic copper before they go in. Also doing a FW dip before they go in is very helpful and puts the odds in your favor for a successful treatment. Or you can do a 30 minute H2O2 bath.

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have fish in the QT…while they’re on therapeutic copper transfer every 3 days to speed the QT time up and also help the fish to recover quicker. Just make sure to pre-dose the new tank with therapeutic copper before they go in. Also doing a FW dip before they go in is very helpful and puts the odds in your favor for a successful treatment. Or you can do a 30 minute H2O2 bath.
I don't have another qt tank, but is there dips that you recommend regardless?
Wouldn't it also stress out the fish? I haven't tried any dips since my gramma's appetite is already....inconsistent but if it is something that helps I could definitely try.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Desperate! Tank: 30g-lps dominant-14 months old-prameters normal (you know what that means) livestock: jawfish, watchman, cherub, two skunk cleaners, rics, one duncan, corky finger and cuc.

Two weeks ago, two 7-month old grammas started ***** flashing. Suspected flukes (fwd impossible). Prazipro full dose plus aeration. No improvement 72 hrs later. Second full dose. Shrimp, my canaries-in-the-coal-mine bellwethers fine. Now, 34 hrs after second dose, decline, some loss of color, extreme constant flashing. Flukes in spasm? Why color loss, esp. yellow tail fade? Eating well. No external spots etc.

Fifty years in the hobby and no clue how to procede. Anybody? Any experience? ldeas? Fishly yours, Jeff

It sure sounds like gill flukes, grammas get those very often and can have a latent infection for months until the fluke population grows and the fish starts flashing. These are an egg laying species of fluke, so are difficult to control with Prazipro, but still, you should have seen some relief with using it. I've heard of some issues with old prazipro not working, was it an odd color or anything?

Jay

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have another qt tank, but is there dips that you recommend regardless?
Wouldn't it also stress out the fish? I haven't tried any dips since my gramma's appetite is already....inconsistent but if it is something that helps I could definitely try.
Yes, you can do a freshwater dip or H2O2 bath. This will reduce the numbers and provide temporary relief if the fish have flukes or ich. Just put the fish in a glass bowl or plastic container with an airstone if you have one. If not, keep them in the QT and check the date on your medication and make sure it’s not expired and keep the treatment going. Video would be helpful.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back