SB Reef Lights

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NanaReefer, I was referring to an earlier post by Jedi. I assume he is well read and researched, but his approach could be improved upon.

In an earlier post, he wrote:
"Care to prove that with a watt meter?"
"Do you legitimately think that any reef LED fixture has enough red light to cause damage?

pon·tif·i·cate
verb
gerund or present participle: pontificating
pänˈtifiˌkāt/
  1. express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic.
There is a difference in pompous and matter of fact. There is a lot lost in forum discussions versus actually being able to speak to all of you, and many read with different emotion and inflection instead of simply taking the words as they are. I'm not attacking Mike, but instead asking him to clarify claims and provide proof, if necessary.

The first question you quoted is one that if he cannot prove, there will be significant repercussions on fixture lifespan if his quoted power figure is correct, and the fixture would need to be redesigned with an actual heatsink. It is also a bit dishonest to tell people that they're getting a '363w' fixture that won't even pull but 250-270w from the wall (depending on fan wattage, actual LED current, and driver AC/DC conversion inefficiencies). I understand that that is how basically all Chinese panels are sold as, but that doesn't make them correct, or that one is better than another because it pulls more power. My last custom array pulled around 275 watts from the wall yet was capable of over double the amount of radiometric light from a standard '300w' class Chinese panel. :)

On a somewhat similar note, Mike, do you know the composition of the primary lenses of the LEDs in the fixture?

ReefBreeders actually created their LED layout based on Ben's suggestions. So don't see his statements as an attack. He offers great advice and backs it up with research and experience.
They did, indeed. They had significant positive feedback on the change, as well, and have stuck with it ever since.

Oh snap, now everyone knows about my million billion dollar deal with Reefbreeders to internet harass every other Chinese LED panel reseller! I've been exposed! ;)

That's awesome! But go back a read it again though. His tone isn't "a guy just trying to help him out"
Yep, I just live for giving every reseller a thrashing without any regard to what I'm asking or saying. I guess I should just keep my mouth shut and take what every manufacturer says as the truth without asking for details or proof. :rolleyes:

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SB Reef Lights any word on what's causing the fans to not work at any set temperature besides 0' C?
Can you see the wiring that goes to the fan? If so, can you see where it connects to? Check to see if wire/wires are messed up/cut. If not........return it for a new set. That's no good if the fans don't work and needs to be replaced. Talk to they're customer service and see what y'all can work out.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see the wiring that goes to the fan? If so, can you see where it connects to? Check to see if wire/wires are messed up/cut. If not........return it for a new set. That's no good if the fans don't work and needs to be replaced. Talk to they're customer service and see what y'all can work out.
Everything looks to be connected. The fan works but only when you set it to turn on at 0C. If you set it at anything else besides 0 they will never come on. Maybe it's something to do with the app?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks to be connected. The fan works but only when you set it to turn on at 0C. If you set it at anything else besides 0 they will never come on. Maybe it's something to do with the app?
So what your saying is if you set it to that setting they will work? Idk if the app has anything to do with it.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea and I know someone else in this thread had the same problem. Maybe it is some kind of programming error from the factory idk.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea and I know someone else in this thread had the same problem. Maybe it is some kind of programming error from the factory idk.
I told you with the cursing they had on they're website there would be issues lol! Nah I'm kidding, but atleast it works man

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NanaReefer, I was referring to an earlier post by Jedi. I assume he is well read and researched, but his approach could be improved upon.

In an earlier post, he wrote:
"Care to prove that with a watt meter?"
"Do you legitimately think that any reef LED fixture has enough red light to cause damage?

pon·tif·i·cate
verb
gerund or present participle: pontificating
pänˈtifiˌkāt/
  1. express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic.

As in what you're doing now? Annoyingly
Pompous [emoji38]

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two lights that have done this? Hmmm. Maybe, just maybe....something actually is wrong. Maybe, they should be sent back for inspection and fixed or replaced.

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing they have have a solid 2 year warranty I'm sure this is something that would be covered

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two lights that have done this? Hmmm. Maybe, just maybe....something actually is wrong. Maybe, they should be sent back for inspection and fixed or replaced.
Good thing they have have a solid 2 year warranty I'm sure this is something that would be covered
I'm not complaining, just hoping this problem can be resolved.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting on an answer from the engineers. They are working with the app developer to see if it's a hardware or software issue. I will update you as soon as I find something out.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. The IOS app is complete and beta tested. Waiting on Apple to approve now. Should be a couple days I hope. Not sure how long that takes to be honest.

Zachman99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. The IOS app is complete and beta tested. Waiting on Apple to approve now. Should be a couple days I hope. Not sure how long that takes to be honest.
I watched a video that was shot at manca about giessmans new led light. The guy they were interviewing made it seem like the apple approval process took a while and was not easy... I hope this isn't true for your light :)

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no notice about shipping and sb web page says payment accepted I know it is takes like 3-5 days to ship just wondering if there is any info along the way or dose the light just show up one day ... Like order processing ... Item shipped .. I placed my order on the first so I am only going to count Monday as day one ... I don't expect them to be hear yet just wonder if there is any follow up after they are paid for and before they arrive

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no notice about shipping and sb web page says payment accepted I know it is takes like 3-5 days to ship just wondering if there is any info along the way or dose the light just show up one day ... Like order processing ... Item shipped .. I placed my order on the first so I am only going to count Monday as day one ... I don't expect them to be hear yet just wonder if there is any follow up after they are paid for and before they arrive
They get shipped from DHL. They will usually send you a text a couple days after your order and let you know.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trickyrich, Thanks for your order! You should have received an automated email right after your order explaining the shipping process. If you didn't please let me know so I can make adjustments. The lights normally take 3 to 4 days to leave the factory right now due to holiday sales, then 3 to 5 days to your door. The minute they leave I get a tracking number and update the system. You them get an email so that you can find out when the package will be arriving. You should be getting tracking very shortly. We normally use DHL and they require a signature. If you will not be home at the time you can call DHL with the tracking number and they will let you leave a signed note on your door.

As a side note the lights will be stocked stateside by the end of the month which will reduce shipping by a couple days.

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trickyrich, Thanks for your order! You should have received an automated email right after your order explaining the shipping process. If you didn't please let me know so I can make adjustments. The lights normally take 3 to 4 days to leave the factory right now due to holiday sales, then 3 to 5 days to your door. The minute they leave I get a tracking number and update the system. You them get an email so that you can find out when the package will be arriving. You should be getting tracking very shortly. We normally use DHL and they require a signature. If you will not be home at the time you can call DHL with the tracking number and they will let you leave a signed note on your door.

As a side note the lights will be stocked stateside by the end of the month which will reduce shipping by a couple days.
I did get 2 emails thanking me for my order with shipping address and my info but nothing about expected wait time who would be shipping or to call dhl I can check my spam when I get home but I asuumed that if I got those ones I would get any others

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will double check on our end to make sure that the emails are going out correctly. At this point you would think ecommerce websites would be turn key, I've found them anything but that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back