**SBB**- $1,500 Games, Giftcards, Prizes- by codybot-Football Party!!!! 750 WYSIWYG +150 Auctions!!!- $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone in here currently keeping acros successfully dosing nutrients and battling a bit with bubble algae if so @ me i got some questions.
I was struggling with bubble algae a bit. Nutrients kept bottoming out so I was dosing both NO3 and PO4. Cut out all the red, green and white lights. added two more PinCushin urchins to the two I had and added 10 Mexican Turbo snails. Big ones. They seem to love getting all over the rocks. Put my deep cleaning schedule to twice a week and cut my fish feeding quantity in half. Most of the algae is gone now and nitrates stay about 10 and phosphates stay at 0.04=with no dosing. I think the main problem was I was over feeding.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was struggling with bubble algae a bit. Nutrients kept bottoming out so I was dosing both NO3 and PO4. Cut out all the red, green and white lights. added two more PinCushin urchins to the two I had and added 10 Mexican Turbo snails. Big ones. They seem to love getting all over the rocks. Put my deep cleaning schedule to twice a week and cut my fish feeding quantity in half. Most of the algae is gone now and nitrates stay about 10 and phosphates stay at 0.04=with no dosing. I think the main problem was I was over feeding.
Im gonna try a couple pin cushions. No way im getting my nutrients as low as yours. My bubble isnt crazy bad but it is annoying thats for sure. I have a bunch of big turbos already and they dont touch the stuff. My foxface hasnt yet either though he might have to go before he gets a chance to try it

wes84

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried emeralds they just wont touch the stuff i had hermits but removed them because i swear in a span of a moth one crab killed over half my snail population looking for a new shell. But im gonna go ham on manual removal. wish they made mini fox faces.
The emerald mithrax from reefcleaners.org worked for me. Some kinds of emeralds dont eat it

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emerald mithrax from reefcleaners.org worked for me. Some kinds of emeralds dont eat it
Yeah I got the wrong ones for sure they are green. when I was at the store questioning them they didn’t want to exclaim that these crabs would eat it and low key I want to take them out of the tank.

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t bottom out which is interesting cuz I got a ton of bubble algae I sit around .07 Po4 and 16-20 No3

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
anyone in here currently keeping acros successfully dosing nutrients and battling a bit with bubble algae if so @ me i got some questions.
I'm dosing NeoPhos only and battling Bubble Algae. Successful since Thanksgivingish...

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dang you always score crazy deals! Never anything good on my local one, heck i tried to give away a BTA for free and no one would even take it.
I bet Discount would. They take anything free if they can sell it.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah I got the wrong ones for sure they are green. when I was at the store questioning them they didn’t want to exclaim that these crabs would eat it and low key I want to take them out of the tank.
Males supposedly are hit or miss, females will almost always eat bubble algae. I can't speak from experience because I've never been able to positively identify one as male or female. I've had one eat it and 3 not touch the stuff. As mentioned above Reef Cleaners guarantees theirs will eat bubble algae or you get your money back.

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta get the reefcleaner emeralds, not some LFS crabs. Reef cleaners guarantees their crabs will eat bubble algae. 10 in our 150 and they wiped out 95% of the bubbles within a month. It’ll never go away but they do a great job.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta get the reefcleaner emeralds, not some LFS crabs. Reef cleaners guarantees their crabs will eat bubble algae. 10 in our 150 and they wiped out 95% of the bubbles within a month. It’ll never go away but they do a great job.
I highly recommend ReefCleaners. Got a custom snail only package a couple months ago. I did lose some dwarf cerith snails but the overall quality vs. price can’t be beat.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The guy I got my lights from also had a Cade Reef 1800 S2 with sump and everything. Some other accessories for little over $3k I think he said. If anyone was looking for a large aquarium. I think he said it's 250-gallon. We definitely didn't have room for it anywhere, but it seemed like a great deal too.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, since I’m getting rid of (with extreme prejudice) my coral killing Damsels, any thoughts on a fish or fishes to put in ? Expenses are kinda tight so can’t be super pricey. Has to be able to fit a 60 gallon 36long x 24wide x16.5deep. I’m already planning on a Mandarin to replace the one I lost. I’ll entertain any suggestions within reason.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, since I’m getting rid of (with extreme prejudice) my coral killing Damsels, any thoughts on a fish or fishes to put in ? Expenses are kinda tight so can’t be super pricey. Has to be able to fit a 60 gallon 36long x 24wide x16.5deep. I’m already planning on a Mandarin to replace the one I lost. I’ll entertain any suggestions within reason.
Springeri Damsels. I have two and they hang out together.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have two new fish coming in, they fit into the bubble algae conversation from earlier as well. I ordered both a rainford and a hector goby as I've heard both are good algae eaters. I'm going to try one in my display and one in the 10g frag tank. They are cheap and I like the prospects of them dealing with algae, but like emerald crabs I've heard it is hit or miss.

I'd second a springeri damsel.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springeri Damsels. I have two and they hang out together.

I have two new fish coming in, they fit into the bubble algae conversation from earlier as well. I ordered both a rainford and a hector goby as I've heard both are good algae eaters. I'm going to try one in my display and one in the 10g frag tank. They are cheap and I like the prospects of them dealing with algae, but like emerald crabs I've heard it is hit or miss.

I'd second a springeri damsel.
Ummm….I’m getting rid of damsels. What makes these different from my murder hobos?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ummm….I’m getting rid of damsels. What makes these different from my murder hobos?
Not sure, they come highly recommended. I have one, was the first resident in my tank. For whatever reason, it is fairly sociable. Most people agree they aren't too aggressive and I haven't seen it eat any corals.

wes84

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered two of these red rooster pygmy waspfish

Attachments

• 56837879-3B7F-4945-87F0-21EB7A94EEE8.png
    56837879-3B7F-4945-87F0-21EB7A94EEE8.png
    592.3 KB · Views: 23

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the Creature Mili and Cherrylicious. Green Goblin almost completely destroyed as well. Still has a little life in it. Probably won’t make it but I’ll leave it in for the moment. I was really looking forward to the Cherry :frowning-face:.
9624F31A-9ADE-4DAB-A25D-7655F5EB0635.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 88 71.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back