SBS. "Slow Belarusian Scrubber".

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I want to tell you about my little invention, the slow scrubber. I live in Belarus, so I decided to call this device "Slow Belarusian Scrubber". SBS. I think this is a very interesting and unusual device, which has very interesting qualities. Let's now go into more detail. Let me tell you right away, it is difficult for me to write with translation, so I do not put up the posts quickly. So. I am engaged in marine aquaristics since 2009 with interruptions. I was always not interested in the standard aquarium, I was attracted to experiments. I developed a technology for making cement stones of very good quality, I was the first in our area to start testing scrubbers and I always liked experiments. My main goal is to create a system where plankton can live. I am very limited on money and I am trying to create a system that will keep a marine aquarium on a small budget. And this is what came out. I assemble my systems on scrubbers. Only on scrubbers. When I started the 60 liter system, I put a scrubber in it. But I had no opportunity (money) to buy a powerful pump, so I put a weak one that I had. Chinese pump 200 liters per hour. It took about a week and scrubber began to grow... But it did not grow algae. Plankton began to grow. Now I will post pictures and video. Give me time, it is difficult for me to translate it.

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very interesting device and perhaps even a very important one. I will tell you why later. I will now post a video of the scrubber and a microscopic picture of its fouling.

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this is a 120 liter system. It has a false bottom. The system was planned as a plankton safe system. Hence the false bottom. But then my main 400 liter aquarium leaked, had to drain it. Transplant corals and fish into 120 liters. And the experiment was interrupted. Temporarily. The equipment in this aquarium can be seen in the video. Two pumps 200 and 300 liters per hour. Scrubber. Cement rocks. Silica sand. Glasses haven't been cleaned in over a month. Fish are spawning, don't want to scare them. .

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many varieties of plankton living in this scrubber. Dinoflaggelates, diatoms, tetraselmis, and a lot more varieties of phyto, zooplankton, from pico to nano. And all this plankton is partially washed into the aquarium by the current.

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else needs to be said. Plankton is much more effective than algae. It rebuilds faster, reproduces faster, reacts faster to changing conditions. Much faster. Which means the scrubber becomes much more effective. In addition, the SBS is constantly producing plankton and it gets into the aquarium.

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a very interesting result in the SBS aquarium with dendronephthia. This is a separate story, I will tell you later. Unfortunately, the experiment was temporarily stopped because of the accident in the aquarium 400 liters. But so far some of the frags dendronephthia is still alive, already 7 months.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many varieties of plankton living in this scrubber. Dinoflaggelates, diatoms, tetraselmis, and a lot more varieties of phyto, zooplankton, from pico to nano. And all this plankton is partially washed into the aquarium by the current.
Excellent to get a closed up of this, thanks. I’ve always assumed the slimey scrubber syndrome was a dinoflagellate bloom of some type. Can you get some of those cells closer up?. The official line from scrubber manufacturers was that it was caused by excessive phosphate growing brown or black hair algae (or at least that used to be the line as I remember it), and that never sat well in my book. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little later today I will post photos and video of everything that lived in the scrubber. Dinos were there too, but that slime wasn't necessarily dinos at all. There were also tetraselmis and small phyto like nanochloropsis and a lot more.

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a small part of what lives in the scrubber. The species of critters sometimes change quite quickly with the changing conditions. And dinos sometimes appear there in free-floating form. And that's a good thing, because dinos are good food. But at the same time they do not get into the main tank in the form of colonies. Also often cyano in the scrubber is, but in the main tank it is not.

And there is a lot of small zooplankton. In the main tank this has never been the case. A little later I will show you a microscope photo of the water from the tanks with my scrubber. There are a lot of phyto in there.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is unique for sure!

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool idea. Reminds me of the latest BRS YouTube series on the biome. Would be interesting to watch as the dominant life forms appear over time, could learn a lot from this.

Nytmare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like where you are going with this, I would love to see more of your research. I have a Hang on Back refugium, I wonder if this could be converted to this type of filtration?

How can we help assist you with moving this forward?

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like where you are going with this, I would love to see more of your research. I have a Hang on Back refugium, I wonder if this could be converted to this type of filtration?

How can we help assist you with moving this forward?
Thank you! It would help me if it weren't for the distance. Frags of non-photosynthetic corals for example. But I'm on the other side of the planet. )) I would be very happy to help with English translation of my posts. Or rather with the correction after the online translator. Because I do not know how to sound what is translated by computer.

OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experimental aquarium, a pair of Whitetail dascyllus lay eggs. This aquarium has a lot of phytoplankton in the water. In an hour or two I will take a video. The spawn is very strange, glued to the glass with a "spider's web".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrey Grodno

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220816_181930.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back