Sca 301 skimmer

sdotholmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sca301 skimmer it works very well but the pump is so loud what can I do to quite it down or can I replace the pump with another pump and what pump? Please help!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lift the skimmer up slightly off the bottom glass, does it quiet down? If so, put a rubber mat under the skimmer.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But do you have any suggestions
I have the skimmer running on my 40b, I've been able to get it a bit quieter just by jiggling it sometimes, but it almost always goes back to the way it was. The pump just puts off a lot of vibration and there's not much you can do without replacing it altogether. And at that point you might as well just buy a more expensive skimmer.

On a positive note, I bought it as an experiment to replace a super finicky bubble magus I had and it's amazing how consistently and reliably this cheap skimmer works. Only issue I've had is the venturi clogged a couple of times which caused overflows. Just clean it out every few weeks and it's not an issue. Also it seems to suck quite a bit of electricity for the size.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a nice little skimmer! It's not cheap, it's just less expensive....it does a nice job.....well, maybe with the exception of the pump.....It's an Atman PH1100. What I'd do, especially if you're happy with the skimmer is buy a new pump.....you can find them for less than $50.....and use that old one as a back-up for when you need it. It will hold you over until you order yet another pump.

OP
OP
S

sdotholmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a nice little skimmer! It's not cheap, it's just less expensive....it does a nice job.....well, maybe with the exception of the pump.....It's an Atman PH1100. What I'd do, especially if you're happy with the skimmer is buy a new pump.....you can find them for less than $50.....and use that old one as a back-up for when you need it. It will hold you over until you order yet another pump.
So it's pump it's self I think I well try that where can I get one

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sca301 skimmer it works very well but the pump is so loud what can I do to quite it down or can I replace the pump with another pump and what pump? Please help!

I have two and they're both exceptionally quiet. After about 6 months, one of mine started developing a loud buzz. Turns out it was the impeller, which is a pretty cheap fix (<$20).

Try taking the impeller out. Hold the magnet steady, then try to rotate the black needle wheel part. If that part rotates left and right a little bit, that's likely the cause of your noise. I ordered a new one, and the black needle wheel part didn't move at all. Solved the noise problem completely.

OP
OP
S

sdotholmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two and they're both exceptionally quiet. After about 6 months, one of mine started developing a loud buzz. Turns out it was the impeller, which is a pretty cheap fix (<$20).

Try taking the impeller out. Hold the magnet steady, then try to rotate the black needle wheel part. If that part rotates left and right a little bit, that's likely the cause of your noise. I ordered a new one, and the black needle wheel part didn't move at all. Solved the noise problem completely.
Thanks so much

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a quick search, the least expensive I've found is Amazon for $49.99, free shipping....HERE.

I did find models for less on AliExpress and Fish Street, but note that these were the 220 volt versions.

PopaSmurph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a pic now that I'm home. Had to force the venturi on then screw it down with pliers

20180223_182343.jpg

PopaSmurph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's 180 lph less but doesn't matter as it performs as good if not better so far. It being a dc pump helps a lot with noise vs the ac pump that came with it. I'm running the pump at 5/8 and skimmer at 3 and it's almost dead quiet .

OP
OP
S

sdotholmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's 180 lph less but doesn't matter as it performs as good if not better so far. It being a dc pump helps a lot with noise vs the ac pump that came with it. I'm running the pump at 5/8 and skimmer at 3 and it's almost dead quiet .
Nice just ordered one thanks so much

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back