Scared of electrocution circulation pump

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t started my saltwater build yet but I am curing rocks. Right now I’m trying to find a circulation pump for a 20 or 40 gallon (not sure which I want to use) and I’ve heard really good things about the hydor circulation pump but I’ve also heard that they can send volts of electricity through the tank and kill your fish and coral. I’ve been electrocuted from my pond heater and my goldfish tank that shocked me, i really don’t want to go through that again lol

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing happening or suggest a better pump around the same price?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry more about a heater :) Any piece of equipment can fail.

If you want a pump that has no cord or electrical component in the tank then you can purchase a vortech MP10/40.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t started my saltwater build yet but I am curing rocks. Right now I’m trying to find a circulation pump for a 20 or 40 gallon (not sure which I want to use) and I’ve heard really good things about the hydor circulation pump but I’ve also heard that they can send volts of electricity through the tank and kill your fish and coral. I’ve been electrocuted from my pond heater and my goldfish tank that shocked me, i really don’t want to go through that again lol

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing happening or suggest a better pump around the same price?
You should have a grounding probe to avoid that, anything with electric can cause a shock.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, my Hydor sent stray current onto my tank when it failed.... not enough to kill anything but I was getting zapped and my corals were not happy. I replaced it - and the pump on my skimmer for safe measure. I then added a grounding probe to my tank. I got really paranoid after that. I don't work on my sump without shutting down the pumps and I always wear gloves.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mention of Echotech? MP10 uses magnetic coupling so there is no shock risk as the cords are external. I also don't like the whole shocking thing so if I work in the tank the return and heaters are temporarily shut off and the MP40 keeps things moving.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my Hydor sent stray current onto my tank when it failed.... not enough to kill anything but I was getting zapped and my corals were not happy. I replaced it - and the pump on my skimmer for safe measure. I then added a grounding probe to my tank. I got really paranoid after that. I don't work on my sump without shutting down the pumps and I always wear gloves.
I always stand on a slab of styrofoam when putting hands in the sump after getting tingled a few times. The display has no electrical devices in it, plus the carpet is thick so never got any tingles there.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always stand on a slab of styrofoam when putting hands in the sump after getting tingled a few times. The display has no electrical devices in it, plus the carpet is thick so never got any tingles there.
I actually thought about getting Crocs. LOL

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%

Back