School me on GSPs - coral virgin

  • Thread starter Thread starter fladiver
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fladiver

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2024
Messages
161
Reaction score
101
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longtime FOWLR keeper who is needing a bit of color and vibrancy in my tank. I’ve probably been misinformed about corals but have to date avoided them because of perceived additional care and potential to crash the tank. Recently in speaking with others it seems there are a few kinds that are hardy, colorful, and don’t require additional care/dosing other than keeping parameters stable.

One that seems to be at the top of the list is a GSP. I have a 45g long tank and think a GSP may be a good beginner type coral to try.

Any tips on what to look for? To do and not do? How to acclimate/position in my tank? Recent tank pic below…thanks!!
 
Longtime FOWLR keeper who is needing a bit of color and vibrancy in my tank. I’ve probably been misinformed about corals but have to date avoided them because of perceived additional care and potential to crash the tank. Recently in speaking with others it seems there are a few kinds that are hardy, colorful, and don’t require additional care/dosing other than keeping parameters stable.

One that seems to be at the top of the list is a GSP. I have a 45g long tank and think a GSP may be a good beginner type coral to try.

Any tips on what to look for? To do and not do? How to acclimate/position in my tank? Recent tank pic below…thanks!!
20250809_115428_D7F87BE7-3BD3-49AB-B165-DD6BBBD6DD89.png
 
While some coral do require more care I've never heard of coral crashing a tank. You'll need light and flow for softies like GSP. I love the color of mine. I also find it thrives in varying conditions. The GSP in this tank is getting medium flow and medium light and it grows well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the first tank has N and P at levels many consider high, NO3 25 - 35 amd PO4 0.4 - 0.9+ while the second tank runs low NO3 2.0 PO4 0.07 so GSP is adaptable to that also.

PXL_20250624_173011619~2.jpg


In this tank it's getting blasted with light and flow. It gets whipped around all day and par is 500+ at the top. It grows so fast I have to scrape it off the weir teeth every two weeks.
PXL_20250807_024006679~3.jpg


Most soft coral can be kept with just water changes as long as they have enough light and flow. Some zoas and mushrooms along with rock flower nems can add some nice color.
 
Last edited:
Adding GSP or Xenia to a FOWLR is a perfect low-risk way to add color and sway, in my opinion. Just jump right in with a few low cost frag pieces, and your tank will tell you whether it's happy. 😎
 
Last edited:
Adding GSP of Xenia to a FOWLR is a perfect low-risk way to add color and sway, in my opinion. Just jump right in with a few low cost frag pieces, and your tank will tell you whether it's happy. 😎
I agree. Get some inexpensive frags, and just see what makes it and what doesn't. That's pretty much my reefing philosophy right there 🤣
 
My only caution is this: once you find you can keep coral without much trouble you may want to diversify. Since all of your rock work is connected, that GSP will grow over all of it. Just be prepared for that, or else consider getting a couple other beginner corals and let them get established somewhere before the GSP takes over (which from what I’ve seen could be a year or two for that entire rock).

I told myself I’d never get anything other than softies and now I’ve also got SPS and LPS. Whether I can keep them alive remains to be seen. ;)
 
My only caution is this: once you find you can keep coral without much trouble you may want to diversify. Since all of your rock work is connected, that GSP will grow over all of it. Just be prepared for that, or else consider getting a couple other beginner corals and let them get established somewhere before the GSP takes over (which from what I’ve seen could be a year or two for that entire rock).

I told myself I’d never get anything other than softies and now I’ve also got SPS and LPS. Whether I can keep them alive remains to be seen. ;)
Yep!
Try gsp alone on his own rock, in the sand, away from the glass.
 
Nice rock work. And GSP would look great on there. Both GSP and xenia grow abundantly and if you ask around your area someone will probably give you some for free.

What kind of light do you have?
Thank you. I’m in Tampa area if anyone feels so inclined…

I have the Reefbar LED Pro. It’s been great for me so far.
 
Thank you. I’m in Tampa area if anyone feels so inclined…

I have the Reefbar LED Pro. It’s been great for me so far.
If you want to drive an hour or two I have both to give away on my next trimming which is about weekly….
 
Wow! There you go! Hats off to fellow reefers!
The local with rock will give you biodiversity and that a good thing. And the other with both well it be worth it as well. What’s an hour drive to meet another hobbyist, learn something, and pick up a couple freebies.

gsp and Xenia will be a nice combo of pink green and movement.
 
Also gsp does grow well on glass and it comes off the glass easily. You can take pieces of it, dab of super glue on bottom side and stick to cleanish glass. If someone gives you a hand size sheet you can piece it up and put in various spots on back wall. Or place rock with gsp on back wall and it will get there.

Or The rock with gsp would be a nice island in front.

After that takes hold we’ll introduce you to a couple zoas to start on the rock works . 🎁
 
Wow. I’m blown away by the offers. I will definitely take at least one of you up on the offers. I’ll also update the thread as this project progresses. Thanks all again.

It sounds like a good initial idea is to put the gsp on a rock island to see how quickly it grows/progresses?
 
If you are sticking with Fowlr gsp and xenia would be great adds. If you think you may want to transition to a reef tank be mindful of where you put them. Basically what others have said. I also have never heard of corals crashing a tank. I have heard of people doing things that caused a tank full of corals to crash however.
 
OP should know that GSP is a gateway coral. Soon he’ll have spent thousands on new lights, equipment, and live sales.
Don’t say we didn’t warn you!!
Hey kid try this green star polyp and next thing you know your tweeking on the candy cane. Even the names will get you.

I just went for some snails and came back with 5 corals and 4 fish I'm not exaggerating. I think no one has snails so I just keep coming back to buy more other stuff. In my defense it was 1 for 20, 2 for 30 or 5 for 60, and I wanted 3 for sure so of course I had to buy 5.
 
Last edited:
Huge thanks not only to everyone here who volunteered their knowledge, but also those in the Tampa area that graciously offered some of these “gateway drugs.” I got to meet @Hemmbone20 today, see his amazing tank, and also went home with some GSP and Zoa goodies. Super cool to open your house (and tank) to a total stranger.

I’ll report back on progress in coming weeks, but safe to say I may be hooked. Thanks again R2R!
 
GSP and Zoas are good choices. Although I do like pulsing xenia, it can end up anywhere/everywhere. Whereas, if you get tired of GSP or just want to control it, you can basically just 'peel' it off
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new