Scoly Bleaching:(

Ernst Haeckel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm Tom and I just joined the forum!! I have a 32 gal biocube that's been running for about 2.5 years. I got a warpaint scoly about 9 months ago, and its been doing great, until 2-3 weeks ago. I keep it on the sand bed and regularly feed mysis about 3 times a week. About 5 months ago it was attacked and lost some flesh when my wall hammer got too close (I was on vacation and my friend put them too close after a water change). It successfully rebounded and has regrown most the tissue already! It is far from any other non-scold corals, so I know that can't happen again.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, it stopped eating. It's feeder tentacles would come out but it wouldn't eat. Last week, its color started fading and now I'm really worried. I never thought my lighting was too intense for it, but I recently moved it into a shadier area in case that's the culprit. The only change in lighting I've made was about 6 months ago when I decreased the intensity of my lighting.

My water parameters are what they usually are:
Temp: ~80 F (my tank is usually around 77 in the cooler months and gets to around 80 in the warmer months)
Nitrate: ~5 ppm
pH: 8.0
dKH: 7.5
Calcium: 480 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm
Salinity: 1.025

All my other corals are happy (including my other scoly, which I got 2 months ago and was in the same lighting).

I'm not sure what this could be, I'm wondering if the light has always been a little too much and it finally hit a breaking point? But I'm wondering why it healed so well a few months ago under the same conditions. Could it be a parameter I'm not testing for?

I'm stumped, let me know what you think. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pictures under white light would be helpful
If it’s on sand, elevate it slightly
Salinity 1,025
Alk 8-11
nitrate < .6
Mag 1300
Ca 440
Moderate light and water flow. It needs decent light to produce the zooxanthelle that gives it growth and color

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back