Scoly by the slice

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a recent live sale I saw scolymia corals being offered like pizza slices. It was labeled as a rescue. Later in the thread, additional pictures were shown of others prepared the same way. More rescues and all different morphs? Possible, but the way vendors try to increase profits these days, seems like they are moving into new area of the fragging realm. Any one else see this? Hope it’s not a new trend. I like my scoly whole. Just sell the coral the way it is as in nature. If it is indeed a real rescue then kudos for saving the coral. However, I do have my doubts.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a recent live sale I saw scolymia corals being offered like pizza slices. It was labeled as a rescue. Later in the thread, additional pictures were shown of others prepared the same way. More rescues and all different morphs? Possible, but the way vendors try to increase profits these days, seems like they are moving into new area of the fragging realm. Any one else see this? Hope it’s not a new trend. I like my scoly whole. Just sell the coral the way it is as in nature. If it is indeed a real rescue then kudos for saving the coral. However, I do have my doubts.
Ive seen frags of scoly’s at the World Wide store, so that is occurring.

OP
OP
HudsonReefer2.0

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of rescues for a vendor w access to quality livestock. Just sayin.
A23AA6D7-63EC-427F-9A92-3C18741E48FE.png
FB152A23-EB10-4F4E-96BE-2BED5B29CF38.png

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green one I could possibly see it being a rescue. The other, you can see the nice define cut with a bandsaw. There would be no reason to cut that much of the skeleton off since when they recover, they can take over the old skeleton.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that in the recent WWC event. I didn't believe it from the very beginning.

It took multiple pages later until they finally came out and said it would take two years for this coral to look normal again.

The price was disproportionately high given it is a quarter cut if that.

It smelled Super Fishy to me. Why would WWC be taking in "rescues"? That isn't their business model. They have dibs and cherry pickers all over the place paying top dollar for coral.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a ‘rescued’ scoly from WWC. Using my points, I had to use them up on something. I have no idea if it’s a marketing ploy or if indeed had a problem. No different than the two little pieces of welso scoly or whatever it was from CB years ago. He said the colony had a pest eating it from within. I don’t know there either. All pieces have done well. Current one is doing fine.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To go way back in time when Scott was still around, some great insights. I used to love all his ramblings.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one hand, we could think of this as greed. On the other hand, with this approach, 4-6 reefers get a scolly for every individual scolly removed from the reef. It's not sustainable aquaculture, but it substantially decreases the impact of people owning a scolly. Although I was annoyed when I first read this, when I frame it this way, I actually prefer it.

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it. But IMO it seems better. We started doing it to see if it could be done and haven't lost a single one. We don't consider it much about profit as much as what's being brought in off the reefs. Honestly this is probably one of the most bizarre ones we've gotten.

scolysmack.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it. But IMO it seems better. We started doing it to see if it could be done and haven't lost a single one. We don't consider it much about profit as much as what's being brought in off the reefs. Honestly this is probably one of the most bizarre ones we've gotten.

scolysmack.jpg
Exactly. If one coral comes from the reef but six people get it in their tank, this is a win win. I'd love to see them actually cultured long term, but given their recovery time it's probably not realistic.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To go way back in time when Scott was still around, some great insights. I used to love all his ramblings.

Oh yes, Scott. Interesting conversations a few times. I also cut the above mentioned scolys in half, with a scalpel. They recovered fine. I didn’t sell them, wasn’t out for profit.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, Scott. Interesting conversations a few times. I also cut the above mentioned scolys in half, with a scalpel. They recovered fine. I didn’t sell them, wasn’t out for profit.
His is the only lecture I've set thru at a reef show. Very interesting and entertaining. All the rest I last maybe 5 minutes and then I walk out due to boredom.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back