Scoly stung by Lobo

Jmm330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I just went out to check out my tank as the lights dimmed down and I noticed that my lobo was attacking my Croc Island Scoly with its sweepers. I dipped the Scoly but I was curious if anybody had any other recommendations to help save it and help it heal? The lobo was moved far away...

59A07DCD-18C6-4AEB-AB9C-EA7BB9ED1279.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one get nailed by a lobo and it healed over time on its own. Took a bit and it did drop the damaged flesh in one spot, but filled that area in. Took about a month. Below are some pics showing before and after a bit of time. I did move it again during it healing, but that was due to some rearranging of things.

2 days after lobo nailed it. 5/12 by the pic date.
12BC9BD4-1F79-4589-A8EB-4229A43A9B5B.jpeg

July 4th by the pic date.
DC6A99B5-8234-412F-B194-8B735862765E.jpeg

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I have a recommendation for you. If it starts to form a brown jelly infection act fast as it wont heal on its own. I usually do a 50/50 peroxide dip and then a 30 dip in a broad spectrum antibiotic at night for 4 days to stop any infections once they have start. Ive had alot of success with this method as brown jelly can be a big problem in aquariums

OP
OP
J

Jmm330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one get nailed by a lobo and it healed over time on its own. Took a bit and it did drop the damaged flesh in one spot, but filled that area in. Took about a month. Below are some pics showing before and after a bit of time. I did move it again during it healing, but that was due to some rearranging of things.

2 days after lobo nailed it. 5/12 by the pic date.
12BC9BD4-1F79-4589-A8EB-4229A43A9B5B.jpeg

July 4th by the pic date.
DC6A99B5-8234-412F-B194-8B735862765E.jpeg

I’m glad it healed up well for you! That’s encouraging. Thankfully, it had only been going on for a couple minutes (I only know because I had put a new coral to acclimate) so I’m hoping that I caught it early enough. Can only imagine how much damage there would be if I didn’t see it...

OP
OP
J

Jmm330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I have a recommendation for you. If it starts to form a brown jelly infection act fast as it wont heal on its own. I usually do a 50/50 peroxide dip and then a 30 dip in a broad spectrum antibiotic at night for 4 days to stop any infections once they have start. Ive had alot of success with this method as brown jelly can be a big problem in aquariums

What antibiotic did you use and how long did you dip it for in the antibiotic? It hasn’t jellied as of now. It looks like it is, but I believe it’s flesh because it didn’t come off with a baster like brown jelly usually does. It seems attached. But I would definitely like to know in case it does!

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What antibiotic did you use and how long did you dip it for in the antibiotic? It hasn’t jellied as of now. It looks like it is, but I believe it’s flesh because it didn’t come off with a baster like brown jelly usually does. It seems attached. But I would definitely like to know in case it does!
I dip in peroxide for about 30seconds to a minute and use a pipet to blow the infected tissue clean. That usually takes care of a large part of the infection. I then use antibiotics and dip it for 30min to an hour.
Ive use both Erythomycin and chloramphenicol.
ive had better results with chloramphenicol but its harder to get. I cant tell well but the brown stuff around the sting kinda looks like brown jelly. its hard to tell. brown jelly doesnt allways just blow off

OP
OP
J

Jmm330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip in peroxide for about 30seconds to a minute and use a pipet to blow the infected tissue clean. That usually takes care of a large part of the infection. I then use antibiotics and dip it for 30min to an hour.
Ive use both Erythomycin and chloramphenicol.
ive had better results with chloramphenicol but its harder to get. I cant tell well but the brown stuff around the sting kinda looks like brown jelly. its hard to tell. brown jelly doesnt allways just blow off
Do you happen to know the concentration of the meds you used and the dilution? I should be able to get either if needed

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a quart sized tupperware i use. i usually put around 1/8 TSP and mix it before the coral goes in. sometimes ill sprinkle a little antiobiotic on the wound be for i place it in. erythomyicin cam be picked up at most LFS and amazon sells chloramphenicol in a 50g bottle if you want to try it. Ive used it and can confidently say its saved a couple of my corals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back