Scopas tang with black circles

meysam_b61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear friends
I bought this scopas tang 11 days ago and move him to qt tank, today i see some sign of illness(black circles) that visible in pic, how can i afford this?

qt tank 40 litr
Salinity 1.026
Temp 28

Thanks

SmartSelect_20230503_191505_Gallery.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear friends
I bought this scopas tang 11 days ago and move him to qt tank, today i see some sign of illness(black circles) that visible in pic, how can i afford this?

qt tank 40 litr
Salinity 1.026
Temp 28

Thanks

SmartSelect_20230503_191505_Gallery.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

More background information (and a video) is needed. That all is explained in this pots:

Offhand, this is likely due to either skin flukes, or aggression from another fish.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i too am thinking either skin flukes or turbellarian worms. Pics are a little fuzzy to fully confirm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i too am thinking either skin flukes or turbellarian worms. Pics are a little fuzzy to fully confirm

Good point - turbellarians could look different on brownish fish.....

Jay

OP
OP
meysam_b61

meysam_b61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

More background information (and a video) is needed. That all is explained in this pots:

Offhand, this is likely due to either skin flukes, or aggression from another fish.

Jay
Thanks i will take better pic, i bought this from store, doesn't have any sign until today ( after 11 days), how can i treat it? I think use copramin for 14 days and paragard bath

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks i will take better pic, i bought this from store, doesn't have any sign until today ( after 11 days), how can i treat it? I think use copramin for 14 days and paragard bath
Paraguard does not work and is a low end treatment and if using cupramine- will be 30 days, not 14 at 0.5 therapeutic level monitored by a reliable test kit but based on what Jay and myself are suspecting ( to be determined with better pic) will require a whole different treatment

OP
OP
meysam_b61

meysam_b61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard does not work and is a low end treatment and if using cupramine- will be 30 days, not 14 at 0.5 therapeutic level monitored by a reliable test kit but based on what Jay and myself are suspecting ( to be determined with better pic) will require a whole different treatment
Thank you so much, today i found him with white spots like iche, i hope this video helps

Attachments

• 20230504_093047.mp4
    51.1 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you so much, today i found him with white spots like iche, i hope this video helps
Unfortunately this appears to be velvet. Now that its in quarantine, you will need to treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and utilize aeration during treatment using your air stone.
The display tank if fish was previously in it will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

OP
OP
meysam_b61

meysam_b61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this appears to be velvet. Now that its in quarantine, you will need to treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and utilize aeration during treatment using your air stone.
The display tank if fish was previously in it will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Thank you so much, display tank not affected, this fish comes from store to qt tank, i have copramin, instruction says that rise copper up to 0.5 mg, is it ok or rise it to therapeutic level? Is it nessecary to use nitroforazan too?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you so much, display tank not affected, this fish comes from store to qt tank, i have copramin, instruction says that rise copper up to 0.5 mg, is it ok or rise it to therapeutic level? Is it nessecary to use nitroforazan too?
Nitro not necessary. Cupramine is indeed 0.5 level but can be a little harsh on tangs. Coppersafe or copper power which is a chelated product is much gentler yet effective. If using Cupramine, just assure it does not get higher than therapeutic level

OP
OP
meysam_b61

meysam_b61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitro not necessary. Cupramine is indeed 0.5 level but can be a little harsh on tangs. Coppersafe or copper power which is a chelated product is much gentler yet effective. If using Cupramine, just assure it does not get higher than therapeutic level

after 1 week use copramin at 0.5, signs of illness gone, i had one more question for my knowledge, why we keep this for about 30 days in copper? Why not 14 days? Thank you

OP
OP
meysam_b61

meysam_b61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after 1 week use copramin at 0.5, signs of illness gone, i had one more question for my knowledge, why we keep this for about 30 days in copper? Why not 14 days? Thank you

I really like to know about it, it's my pleasure if answer

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like to know about it, it's my pleasure if answer
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I’m not sure myself with velvet.. ich goes through a life cycle where eggs are hatched and copper doesn’t kill the eggs just the parasite… I’m not really familiar with velvet and don’t ever care to be lol.. fingers crossed I don’t have to deal with it..

OP
OP
meysam_b61

meysam_b61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reply
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I’m not sure myself with velvet.. ich goes through a life cycle where eggs are hatched and copper doesn’t kill the eggs just the parasite… I’m not really familiar with velvet and don’t ever care to be lol.. fingers crossed I don’t have to deal with it..

Thanks for reply, waithing others to answer that

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These protozoans have a life cycle and the theront stage which is the free swimming stage can last as much as 18 days. With copper, they start to die off but there is still a host fish(s) in the QT tank and the 30 days is to assure it has not started its life cycle again and are truly dead.
There are persons who cut it short such as 21 days to say 2 weeks later , they are back. Instead, they were never truly gone and were feeding off the cells and fluids of given fish and restarted their life cycle

OP
OP
meysam_b61

meysam_b61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These protozoans have a life cycle and the theront stage which is the free swimming stage can last as much as 18 days. With copper, they start to die off but there is still a host fish(s) in the QT tank and the 30 days is to assure it has not started its life cycle again and are truly dead.
There are persons who cut it short such as 21 days to say 2 weeks later , they are back. Instead, they were never truly gone and were feeding off the cells and fluids of given fish and restarted their life cycle

Thank you so much, i will keep in as you told

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back