Scopas Tang

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i'm here to talk about a scopas tang that i have few months ago.
That day i bought a scopas tang from the lfs and put it in quarantine. I did not treat it with any medication. For the first 3 days, it was doing fine, swimming all around but hasn't touch food at all. However, at the fourth day, it started hiding in a corner and was breathing heavily. At night, I was just watching the scopas tang breathing heavily when it suddenly dart rapidly around the tank and hit the ground and die.
so..... what could be happening in the tang.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That day i bought a scopas tang from the lfs and put it in quarantine. I did not treat it with any medication. For the first 3 days, it was doing fine, swimming all around but hasn't touch food at all. However, at the fourth day, it started hiding in a corner and was breathing heavily. At night, I was just watching the scopas tang breathing heavily when it suddenly dart rapidly around the tank and hit the ground and die.
Sounds like the behavior of flukes but a 25 second video under white lighting will be very helpful

yUwEn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm such a strange fish

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scopas is very skiddish. they have excellent sensitivity to vibration and surroundings, they do not do good in small qt tanks they stress out very easily.

Are you attempting to get another one ? If you qt it again I would put it somewhere it can be alone where your not walking by all the time and keep it very low light with good hiding spots not just pvc pipes, and do the qt if you wish, but get it in a healthy reef asap.

Screenshot_20230122_110622_Gallery.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My scopas is very skiddish. they have excellent sensitivity to vibration and surroundings, they do not do good in small qt tanks they stress out very easily.

Are you attempting to get another one ? If you qt it again I would put it somewhere it can be alone where your not walking by all the time and keep it very low light with good hiding spots not just pvc pipes, and do the qt if you wish, but get it in a healthy reef asap.

Screenshot_20230122_110622_Gallery.jpg
Try having 21 tangs and every time I walk past tank, they head for the hills

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can only imagine :) , that's skill in itself having 21 tangs to feed everyday lol (little pigs)

Just curious what is the list of 21 tangs? I forget, you have a gem or two right?
6 yellow
tomini
naso
Vlamingi
2 gem
purple
powder blue
Red sea purple
chocolate
achilles
chevron adult
convict
hepatus
2 sailfin

OP
OP
P

Perkthemacha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking to replace it? Luckily at my lfs they are always available going for around 50-75$ depending on size but I like the smaller ones they don't take long to get large.
Yea, after i buy some peaceful tangs first

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try having 21 tangs and every time I walk past tank, they head for the hills
I only have 6 but when I walk near the tank they all come begging for food. It's hard to even get a pic of corals because they seem to think the camera/phone means food too. Probably helps that I feed many small meals through out the day so the anthias get what they need.
My Gal says I'm the food God so they worship me lol. My dogs do as well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I only have 6 but when I walk near the tank they all come begging for food. It's hard to even get a pic of corals because they seem to think the camera/phone means food too. Probably helps that I feed many small meals through out the day so the anthias get what they need.
My Gal says I'm the food God so they worship me lol. My dogs do as well.
Mine knows the food container. When they see that and the spoon, its a whole different scenario

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back