OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok R2R, I need some help :) Are there any pest experts out there? A couple of my acro's are losing colour. I took them out and dipped them in Coral Dip. I took these pictures while looking under my microscope. I couldn't find AEFW or red bugs that I know of. But I did find some small little worm like critters. Now they could be mesenterial filaments from the coral itself but I'm not sure. I also found some little bugs with what looks like spiky cilia on its back ripping around the polyps. I will post the video of the little bugs when it's uploaded.

i-N9bdSD8-XL.jpg
i-BRPSxn4-XL.jpg
i-t3dNrPS-XL.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those do indeed look just like mesenterial filaments. If you feel that there is an Arthropod causing issues then get some Interceptor and use it. Interceptor will kill any Arthropods, such as mites like Red Bugs, Black Bugs....unknown and seldom seen other mite like bugs.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No freaking clue, but it looks more like an Arthropod versus Nudibranch. I would certainly give Interceptor a try. The only down fall for the treatment is that you might loose crabs and shrimp otherwise it's a pretty benign treatment and very effective.

If I were you I would start a thread on the topic of this unknown possible Acropora pest/predator/parasite. Get some feedback from Acropora keepers that might have seen a similar critter. I am kind in awe the weird looking bug, I have never seen anything like that and would love to know exactly what it is.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No freaking clue, but it looks more like an Arthropod versus Nudibranch. I would certainly give Interceptor a try. The only down fall for the treatment is that you might loose crabs and shrimp otherwise it's a pretty benign treatment and very effective.

If I were you I would start a thread on the topic of this unknown possible Acropora pest/predator/parasite. Get some feedback from Acropora keepers that might have seen a similar critter. I am kind in awe the weird looking bug, I have never seen anything like that and would love to know exactly what it is.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-acropora-sp-pest-pics-video.326242/

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned out to be nothing to be concerned about. They were just pod's doing what pod's do. The colour changes were from a bit of an alk swing and calc dip.

Some new pictures, crappy but they count lol! I need to trim the lime in the sky soon. It's almost 2' a round.

i-dmQxmWK-XL.jpg

The WD doing its thing.
i-nMvGdrn-XL.jpg

And for some reason I can't figure out how to embed a video so here is a quick system walkaround link.

ksdonohu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that blue tipped green acro a green slimer or some other acro? I want to get one but not sure what it is so I can order. Thanks.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a DV Lime in the Sky Acropora sp. Not exactly sure what it would be known as down in the states but it doesn't seem to tough to grow :)

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 24" tall and the stag is 1" from touching both the top and bottom. So it's ~22" tall and I'd say just as wide.

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to start playing with my nitrates and phosphates a little more. I've noticed some small bleaching on different SPS, especially the green dragon and I'm attributing that to lower nutrient levels. I will let you all know how it goes :)

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to start playing with my nitrates and phosphates a little more. I've noticed some small bleaching on different SPS, especially the green dragon and I'm attributing that to lower nutrient levels. I will let you all know how it goes :)
IMO you want 2.5 to 5ppm NO3 Not O ppm NO3 . I use sodium nitrate solution now. sodium nitrate reagent grade from amazon. 2.5g /8oz RODI dosed at 1ml/2gallons of tank water= .8ppm nitrate

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a killer reef!!

OP
OP
Scythanith

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I am shooting for as well, little low on phosphate right now. I dose both but I think I just need to get a little more aggressive.

IMO you want 2.5 to 5ppm NO3 Not O ppm NO3 . I use sodium nitrate solution now. sodium nitrate reagent grade from amazon. 2.5g /8oz RODI dosed at 1ml/2gallons of tank water= .8ppm nitrate

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back