Scrapped Zoas off in tank

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here.

I wanted to get rid of some zoas on some of my rocks in my tank. I also wanted to move some polyps around. I saw a video on Youtube of a person using a razor blade to scrap them off when fragging.

When I was scraping them off, there was what appeared to be a lot of mucus. I think I removed about 10 polyps. These guys were just a dark green color that really didn't fluoresce under blue light. Almost like a green/brownish color.

I think fragged a couple of polyps of a different colony to another rock out of the tank.

I got curious about the mucus and did an internet search and lo and behold, learned about palytoxin. There was some mucus floating around the tank. I have a 43 gallon DT with sump.

I figure time will tell if I nuked my tank. I'm worried about the other coral and fish. I don't have any carbon to go get at this point of night.

If the tank looks ok in the morning, do you think it'll be ok long term? I don't know how long palytoxin takes to harm the other organisms.

Pretty ticked at myself.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule #1: Take everything you see on YouTube with a grain of salt. Zoas/palys can be (and are occasionally) very toxic. Not so much to the tank - but to the human coming into contact with them (read: paly toxin poisoning, trip to the ER).

Rule #2: Not every paly/zoa is toxic, but you should always treat them as they are. This means protective gear (goggles, gloves and mask) and no open wounds that could come into contact with anything.

Rule #3: When in doubt, apply the 24-hour rule. Take a breath, step back, do some more research and wait.

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule #1: Take everything you see on YouTube with a grain of salt. Zoas/palys can be (and are occasionally) very toxic. Not so much to the tank - but to the human coming into contact with them (read: paly toxin poisoning, trip to the ER).

Rule #2: Not every paly/zoa is toxic, but you should always treat them as they are. This means protective gear (goggles, gloves and mask) and no open wounds that could come into contact with anything.

Rule #3: When in doubt, apply the 24-hour rule. Take a breath, step back, do some more research and wait.

Thanks much for your reply. I'm monitoring myself and I feel normal still (no open wounds). Next time I mess with the zoas I'll for sure be using protective gear. I'll sleep on it and see how the tank looks in the morning. Hope I didn't nuke it.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use common sense safety practices with reef tanks. I do manual labor and have many cuts and scrapes up and down my arms and hand. I also frag zoa/palys recreationaly. Chop them up, glue down, and back into the tank. Wouldn't hurt to run a bit if carbon after.

Cover your hands, eyes and cuts when working with anything potentially toxic.

OP
OP
D

dnprall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use common sense safety practices with reef tanks. I do manual labor and have many cuts and scrapes up and down my arms and hand. I also frag zoa/palys recreationaly. Chop them up, glue down, and back into the tank. Wouldn't hurt to run a bit if carbon after.

Cover your hands, eyes and cuts when working with anything potentially toxic.
Thanks!

calypsos15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to know how long palytoxins stay in the tank, particularly after chopping down overgrown zoas. I have a small tank and anticipate it'll be overgrown by zoas. Thank you

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how they say the magnets are guaranteed to not leak EVER! Pretty ballsy claim imo, if that were possible half of my frag racks wouldn’t have went in the trash due to leaking magnet casings!

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ballsy, I admit. I put a lot of effort into trying to solve that issue, since rusting magnets seems to be a perpetual problem. You can learn more about our magnets here: https://reefeco.com/pages/our-magnets We created a clear acrylic joint that disappears when solvent welded - so we can visually verify the joint as a solid piece of acrylic. This differs from most manufacturers who use black acrylic or plastic - which makes the seal impossible to verify. Plus, the magnets themselves are epoxy coated, for an extra barrier of protection.
Magnet-Enclosure.jpg

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back