OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing collection of fish and corals. And the photos! Stunning!

Thanks for taking a look and the compliment!

BW5A9576-2.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG you have the goods in here. I'll be digging through this thread and picking your brain. I absolutely love your reef and reefing style :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had adjusted the flow in the system recently. Currently 2 MP60s and an MP40 on each side panel. I have it set on a wave motion for a good portion of the day. I have the random modes at a lower intensity overnight.

Here's a recent video. You can see the group of anthias swaying up and down in the flow.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS January 2024
BW5A9822.jpg

Received ICP results
Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 8.12.42 PM.png

Major elements are all at an appropriate level. Trace elements are low. I've been looking at Captiv8 aquaculture's trace elements. Considering dosing some of these on a more routine basis. I like that you can make a master dosing solution tailored to your trace metal utilization and then place on a dosing pump.

May send more routine ICPs for a bit to keep an eye on the trace elements. I've been using ATI's ICP-OES analysis. Turn around is one week from dropping in the mail to results. I'm considering trying Oceamo for ICP-MS since the detection limits for the trace elements may be lower.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 8.11.47 PM.png

These cardinals school together at night. During the day they're scattered as pairs around the tank. Doing well after three years.
BW5A9811.jpg

M. pascalus doing well, dominant male getting more red in the body and more intense red effusions in the dorsal fin.
BW5A9786.jpg

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the lennardi doing?

Lost her this past summer after 9 months. It was a mysterious loss. Usually, I can tell when a fish is declining or can tell if a fish is being bullied or looks thin and poorly nourished. But this was seemingly out of nowhere.

A week prior I was thinking how well the fish was doing and how fast she was growing. Was eating well and no compatibility issues with the other fish. The fish looked fat and healthy. Was a gorgeous fish with colors continuing to improve. Then one day was dead on the sand bed. I have a friend who got a lennardi at the same time as mine and his lennardi continues to do well after 14 months.

BW5A7264.jpg

BW5A8418.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost her this past summer after 9 months. It was a mysterious loss. Usually, I can tell when a fish is declining or can tell if a fish is being bullied or looks thin and poorly nourished. But this was seemingly out of nowhere.

A week prior I was thinking how well the fish was doing and how fast she was growing. Was eating well and no compatibility issues with the other fish. The fish looked fat and healthy. Was a gorgeous fish with colors continuing to improve. Then one day was dead on the sand bed. I have a friend who got a lennardi at the same time as mine and his lennardi continues to do well after 14 months.

BW5A7264.jpg

BW5A8418.jpg
So sorry about your loss

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BW5A7264.jpg

BW5A8418.jpg
Sorry to hear that. She looked really good in the photos. You're not alone, I've known a few others that have lost their lennardi for no apparent reason under the one and two year mark. Hopefully your friend can keep his long term, they're such a beautiful wrasse.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your loss
Thank you

Sorry to hear that. She looked really good in the photos. You're not alone, I've known a few others that have lost their lennardi for no apparent reason under the one and two year mark. Hopefully your friend can keep his long term, they're such a beautiful wrasse.
Clearly a known risk, but even so, it did catch me by surprise. Thanks for checking on her.

Here's a new wrasse I was considering. This is my friend's fish. Was really tempted to look for one, but held off because was thinking there may be some tension with the hemitaeniatus flasher. What do you think?

BW5A9647.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

Clearly a known risk, but even so, it did catch me by surprise. Thanks for checking on her.

Here's a new wrasse I was considering. This is my friend's fish. Was really tempted to look for one, but held off because was thinking there may be some tension with the hemitaeniatus flasher. What do you think?

BW5A9647.jpg
That is a gorgeous flasher. I read that these are very compatible with other flashers, but you might have other experiences.
Your tank size should be sufficient to house several of them, I guess.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

BW5A9647.jpg
There will be some tension between it and the hemi. Attenuatus is pushy, but you have a large tank with breaks in sight lines so the tension should be mild.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a gorgeous flasher. I read that these are very compatible with other flashers, but you might have other experiences.
Your tank size should be sufficient to house several of them, I guess.

I've seen @SaltyT 's photos in the past, but first time I've seen one flashing like this and it's a stunning fish that likes to show off.

There will be some tension between it and the hemi. Attenuatus is pushy, but you have a large tank with breaks in sight lines so the tension should be mild.

Hmmm, very tempting....

BW5A9649.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coral photos from today. All under full spectrum halides.

CC Bahama Mama Milli, a recent addition
BW5A9859.jpg

Peng's Blue Monster, another recent addition, adjusting well to the system
BW5A9834.jpg

ASD Rainbow
BW5A9867.jpg

RRC Splice
BW5A9843.jpg

Wet Thumb's Mother of Pearl
BW5A9841.jpg

JF Jolt tenuis
BW5A9862.jpg

Gonzo's Cookie Monster
BW5A9846.jpg

One of my favorites, I have three colonies, but rarely photo the Oregon blue tort
BW5A9882.jpg

Peng's Heart of the Ocean, currently growing fast
BW5A9879.jpg

Rainbow Loom, polyp extension has recovered to a degree after removing the nipping yellow tangs.
BW5A9887.jpg

BC Rainbow's Army, Polyp extension improved dramatically after taking out the tangs
BW5A9868.jpg

TGC Bugatti
BW5A9861.jpg

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’ve never seen that much PE on an Oregon tort. Such a great coral.

Thanks, not sure why, but have always had good polyp extension on this coral. I suspect it may like the size particulate that gets fed with the automatic feeder, but not sure the reason.

BW5A9882.jpg

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, still by far my favorite tank on Reef2Reef.

Thanks @Hydrored. Nice to see you've moved into your new place. Hope to see you starting a new build soon!

I love this tank. I hope I can get here.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Happy with how the tank has progressed. Every system is different though, and 3 years in I still feel like I'm figuring out what works best in this system.

BW5A0006-2.jpg

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish photos from this morning

M. geoffroy, My favorite leopard wrasse
BW5A9945-2.jpg

C. lineatus

BW5A9929.jpg

Synchiropus picturatus, I have a pair of these dragonettes, regularly spawn in the system.
BW5A9905.jpg

Helfrich's filefish
BW5A9982.jpg

Copperband butterfly. I had to rehome the large gem tang to be able to add to the system. Goldflake occasionally gives chase, but nothing too serious and seems to have gradually become less frequent.
BW5A9923.jpg

Biota Captive bred yellow tang- Leaves the sps alone!
BW5A9969.jpg

Adult chevron tang, awesome demeanor for the largest tang in the system. 6-7" in length
BW5A0001.jpg

H. iridis, Radiant Wrasse
BW5A9927.jpg

Quoyi parrotfish, Got this guy pre-QT'd. He was shy for the first few weeks. For the first two days he was hiding out and laying down just taking in the surroundings. After a couple months he has really settled, and is one of the most personable fish in the tank.
BW5A0008.jpg

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back