~ Sea Chem Purigen Users ~ Comments Please ~

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, my friend Joe (joekool) here asked my take on Sea Chem's Purigen product and have not until today even researched it. After reading through all info on Sea Chem's website seems like a very ingenious product so would like comments/feed back from any one currently using it on there Marine System(s) including results ie; reduction of NO2 & NO3, size of system (total water volume), amount of Purigen used and its longevity before needing to be regenerated.

Cheers, Todd

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good idea Todd. Thank you. This should be interesting. I read the seachem site too seems really cool. And it's reusable wow. I'm thinking off a direct replacement for activated carbon.

Last edited:

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be surprised if you see any "great" benefit from using Seachem Purigen. I used it for many years in both freshwater and marine environments, eventually switching back to general carbon due to the cost of Purigen. General carbon works just as well as Purigen, and a high quality carbon removes discoloration and smell a bit better. I never saw any reduction is NO3 as a result of using Purigen, though it will last a while before it requires regeneration which is a frustrating process that will usually result in just purchasing another round of media.

Sketch804

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the regen before and I didn't find it to be to difficult, long as you follow the package, I used the prime on it one more time than suggested. Done i thou this a few times now, just be patient. I have used it in both fresh and salt environments before, works great as far as I can tell. I can notice a difference between running carbon vs purigen, at least in fw, my water turns crystal clear after I use it, where my water was clear but nothing like that, in all my tanks. Carbon is n nice but it just has to be replaced way too often IMHO. But thats just my 2 cents.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello sketch thanks for the reply.

do you still use carbon or just purigen? I didn't think the regen would be a big deal. The fact that you can keep using it over and over is awesome. I also like that it lasts 6 months between regen.
Are you getting 6 months of use out of it?
Other than crystal clear water is it reducing any other issues in tank such as nitrates?
I think I'm going to give it a go. Im concerned that it might get clogged with slime from my vitamin c dosing. I may have to shut off the reactor at night after adding it to the system.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I consider the maintenance that goes into a reef tank, for me personally, it is easier to simply replace standard or reef spec carbon, as opposed to regenerating purigen. I did find in freshwater systems that purigen, like others have commented, kept the water crystal clear, beyond that of standard carbon. When I kept Discus, many years ago, I added peat to the water, so my water was discolored to a degree, due to the peat. In a reef system, I didn't find enough advantages to purigen to justify the price, and regenerating time. I have personally found API's Bio Chem Zorb to be the best product on the market for clear water, out performing just about everybody else. I interviewed API's head chemist a few years back for an aquarium trade publication, and was very impressed that Bio Chem Zorb is the company's flagship product. They have really put a lot of hours into fine tuning it as the best on the market carbon.

bostonreefer78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a fan of purigen for a while, the product appeared to benefit in reductions of nitrate in my 125 gl system and my parameters became more manageable or stable, the water was always crystal clear and it helped keep my organic waste levels very low, along with protein skimming purigen is a wonderful product also the fact that it can be easily recharged at home makes its longevity much greater, I have nothing bad to say about it, however over time I began returning to activated carbon due to its cost being less and it was just a creature of habit thing for me. they both work well I guess its a whatever floats your boat kinda topic. some prefer other products over another, it is worth trying especially in a smaller system as it would be much more cost effective. it works well in s.p.s systems when your trying to keep your water as clear and organic free as possible.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback guys, thanks for your contribution and shared experiences with the product. Definitely providing some 'food for thought' here on its viability as a useful media or not.

Cheers, Todd

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy purigen over the long run do to it's regen ability. You can't regen carbon. I can buy it from amazon for $20 shipped with 2day shipping. I don't think that costs to much. Can you only regenerate it so many times.

Carbon from what I know will hold top capacity then can release back into water at least this stuff turns color when exhausted. Seachem didn't list the long time value of the product but I would think you could spend a lot more money replacing carbon before this is no longer usable.

Todd looks like we are just going to have to try it and see. Man and I just ordered some more carbon.

Anyone else use it.

Koaboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Purigen on a regular basis. A little cheaper if you buy the bottle & sock it yourself. The only elevated level I had was nitrates, and it did lower them to an acceptable limit: from almost 20 down to a little less than 10.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regen is not a problem. I think for most, it's something extra to be done and requires patience. More or less, laziness is the determining factor here. :angel:

HoaglandDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high nitrates (32 - 64 ppm) purchased purigen as it says it absorbs waste which lowers nitrates.. instructions say you can tell it's exhausted when it turns brown or black. Been in my sump now for 8 wks and still white as the day I put it in. Nitrate level has not changed.. not impressed.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen Is a product that Is In all of my tanks and will remain In all of my tanks. I have 3 nano aquariums that I use purigen as a skimmer to absorb organic waste and help polish water, lets face it most skimmers for nano aquariums are bulky and an eye sore. Regeneration of the product is extremely easy and saves money, I talked to a seachem rep and it can be regenerated up to 8 times before it loses its full effect. The vast surface area of purigen also allows it to work and work and work when your carbon is exhausted and not to mention it wont leach back into your aquarium when its been over used.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen has to be in a high flow area so it will work, if its just sitting there it will do nothing. just like biopellets,or gfo, constant movement is required.
I have high nitrates (32 - 64 ppm) purchased purigen as it says it absorbs waste which lowers nitrates.. instructions say you can tell it's exhausted when it turns brown or black. Been in my sump now for 8 wks and still white as the day I put it in. Nitrate level has not changed.. not impressed.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen people place purigen in reactors but I believe they have modified them with a finer pad
Can it be placed in a reactor like carbon or just in a bag in the sump?

HoaglandDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my purigen is right where the strainers for my return pump are.. it is constantly swirling around in the water... a few wks later since my post... still not impressed :-(

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well seems like we are getting some talk about this Todd.

Everyone I would use a reactor and in fact have ordered some and will put it in my reactor. Let you know how it goes..

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool beans, nice to see this thread bumped back up again. As I said, have a pound or so of Carbon to go through first before trying it but seems likely still.

Cheers, Todd

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back