Sea Hare Vs Elegance Coral-Sea Hare spewing Purple Ink!

IndyReef78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sea hare and elegance coral apparently did battle this evening and when I looked up, it appeared that the elegance was stinging (maybe attempting to eat) the sea hare. We separated the two and the sea hare was actively spewing purple ink/slime. He crawled away a bit and has continued to be covered with a cloud of purple slime and does not seem to be moving much now, almost an hour later. I included a picture with the sea hare in the bottom left and the elegance in the upper right.

I think the sea hare is still alive (seems to be breathing) but the purple slime is all over him. Should we remove him (nowhere to put him, so he would die) or wait and see?
4013F773-4582-4170-8D4D-3469AB1D22CA.jpeg

OP
OP
IndyReef78

IndyReef78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ink a self defense mechanism with the sea hare. I'd let it be for a while and see how things go.
Thank you. I have seen him ink once before, when I was searching through the sand for something and accidentally poked him, not realizing he was buried under there. This is A LOT of purple slime, and very little movement, but hopefully he will pull through.

PacificReefCA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sea hare and elegance coral apparently did battle this evening and when I looked up, it appeared that the elegance was stinging (maybe attempting to eat) the sea hare. We separated the two and the sea hare was actively spewing purple ink/slime. He crawled away a bit and has continued to be covered with a cloud of purple slime and does not seem to be moving much now, almost an hour later. I included a picture with the sea hare in the bottom left and the elegance in the upper right.

I think the sea hare is still alive (seems to be breathing) but the purple slime is all over him. Should we remove him (nowhere to put him, so he would die) or wait and see?
4013F773-4582-4170-8D4D-3469AB1D22CA.jpeg
This exact same thing happened to me today. Same sea hare, same coral. Did the sea hare survive?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at the very least run a good amount of activated carbon. That ink is pretty nasty stuff.

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sad to say my seahare lost his battle with my elegance coral sometime last night. I found him still clinging to the elegance coral. While I am heartbroken, the seahare is peacefully resting in the Great Tank in the ground.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back