Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have said and I have understood it to be a bacterial bloom. I have tried many methods regarding bacterial blooms with fix-it-in-a-bottle- solutions and they have worked both for fresh and saltwater. Whenever I have tried to use this certain bottle it never works. Even when I used it in a tank I had set up to help the sand mistiness to go away it wouldn’t work.
Uv sterilizer will also clear a bacterial bloom.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I turned off the skimmer because I assumed the skimmer just ate up the additive.

A skimmer is not mechanical filtration, as with most additives, the skimmer is usually turned off. Mechanical filtration would be a sock or filter pad to clear the particles from the water after the clarify clumps them together.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer may not be enough the product says:

Binding minuscule particles so they can be disposed of via the filter

In some situations the cloudiness may increase slightly after adding Clarity, however this is normal and is a sign that the product is actively working - a clear tank won't be far behind! It's a good idea to clean filter media after use to remove any remaining debris.

I haven’t used the product myself although I would recommend you to get a sock as soon as possible as it seems fairly important aspect according to the above.
^Isn't this right? The purpose of the product is to bind organics into something large enough for your filter to remove... It's done the binding part.. you gotta do the filtering part now..

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is not mechanical filtration, as with most additives, the skimmer is usually turned off. Mechanical filtration would be a sock or filter pad to clear the particles from the water after the clarify clumps them together.

Well I guess a skimmer is technically mechanical filtration, but not the kind needed in this application.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Isn't this right? The purpose of the product is to bind organics into something large enough for your filter to remove... It's done the binding part.. you gotta do the filtering part now..
Yea I turned the skimmer back on. Adding the UV tomorrow because it got late for me. And I’ll be doing a water change later in the week.

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have said and I have understood it to be a bacterial bloom. I have tried many methods regarding bacterial blooms with fix-it-in-a-bottle- solutions and they have worked both for fresh and saltwater. Whenever I have tried to use this certain bottle it never works. Even when I used it in a tank I had set up to help the sand mistiness to go away it wouldn’t work.
I use this! Every Friday I put a new one in. It keeps my tank really clear. I don’t run a skimmer at all either. I’ve never had a problem with cloudy water and I’m a super heavy feeder. This stuff is great. It’s like a tea bag and you just place it in the filter. I run a Fluval filter which is where I put it (under the hood you can see the white part where it’s placed in the photo; I also use a canister. I replace the algone every Friday night

Attachments

• 28A7D228-739D-47F8-800C-E63D7E8083D1.jpeg
    28A7D228-739D-47F8-800C-E63D7E8083D1.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 4C4AAD04-5122-4465-A37B-476461654091.jpeg
    4C4AAD04-5122-4465-A37B-476461654091.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 40

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer would help with bacterial blooms as would a larger biological filter. I run the latter and bacterial blooms in the past from overdosing carbon or adding too much MB7 cleared up within a day.

If it's algae then UV or DE filter will clear that up.

Simpler route might be running a Marineland Magnum Polishing Filter with the micron insert. If that doesn't get it perfectly clear then just add diatomaceous earth and it will clear everything the eye can see.

Adding more bottle solutions likely won't although flocculant products will help with everything else but you still need to remove it and the Magnum will get that done as well.

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I was dealing with a bacterial bloom not long ago. My water was cloudy and I had this clear, stringy slime that appeared to be coming from my rocks and coating the glass. O e of the things that helped was my purchasing a mechanical, hang on back filter with built-in UV. I personally chose an Aquatop PF-25. It has built-in 7w uv. My system is only 20 gallons.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how bacterial bloom got thrown in here (early on) but the op used a floculent with nothing to remove/filter the particles out afterwards (no socks or skimmer being used) and was wondering why his tank was cloudy, thinking it was a water clarity additive instead of a floculent, me thinks :)

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda having the same issue. Slightly cloudy water,and after a water change it got worse. I swapped my sponge for the white/blue filter floss and it helped but never truly cleared up how I wanted it.

I got some KZ Coral Snow on black friday,and its helped dramatically after I got the dose right.

I don't run a skimmer,but just carbon in a media bag and filter floss.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got some KZ Coral Snow on black friday,and its helped dramatically after I got the dose right.
I’m currently in the process of making some Coral Snow to dose. Thx for the comment and reminder! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have remembered there was a few DIY threads before I spent $16 on a bottle of water and chaulk lol.
Should’ve remembered I could’ve just done the Coral Snow in the first place before I spent $18 on a bottle lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back