Seachem Matrix for QT use

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can you keep the sea matrix in there to keep it cycled long term? So if there is copper in Water and in need to get out if we do a big enough water change it should remove copper and the matrix should be ok to reuse?

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any copper absorption with Matrix? I'm hoping this will turn out to be a "QT friendly" bio media we can recommend, in addition to using a sponge. To help folks combat ammonia issues in QT.
If I use the matrix to keep tank cycled, when I need the copper removed, do I take out and change the matrix

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use the matrix to keep tank cycled, when I need the copper removed, do I take out and change the matrix

I believe you must clean it with vinegar, a poly filter, and/or Cubrisorb. Vinegar should clean the matrix and products like Cubrisorb will clean the matrix and remove the copper from the water. I use Cubrisorb. Be sure to check the water for copper levels before removing the Cubrisorb to make sure it is totally removed from the tank.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HumbleFish,

Any thoughts about using Matrix in a hospital tank with Chloroquine phosphate? Do you think your tests with copper could be inferred to mean Matrix would not absorb CP? (Not sure I truly understand “absorption” of copper in the first place. Is it being pulled into the rock somehow like saturating a sponge or a chemical reaction with the rock that renders the medication ineffective?). Shame there is no test for CP concentration.

Thanks!
Mark
I treated a 20 gal with CP at 50mg/gal for 30 days. All water changes were treated with CP at same level before adding. I used penguin hob filter with bio wheel and Matrix pre soaked with bio spira. Five fish went through over 30 days. All five fish have been in sterile QT for three or five weeks. (Did three fish in CP first 14 days then last two fish for 14 days) I’ve had a black molly in quarantine with them for over two weeks now with no signs of velvet or ich.

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mix of these two Fluval bio products. Works good. Small mesh bag, mix of the two products, soak with BioSpira. Sits on top of my foam pad in my Aquaclear HOB. Very clean water. Never noticed any absorption problems with copper. Ammonia? What ammonia?

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 11.35.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 11.37.19 AM.png

How do you soak with biospira? Is it just straight biospira or a mix of saltwater? How long do you soak for? Room temperature? Any tips/ steps would be greatly appreciated? Can you share a picture of the back of your filter? I am setting up a new qt and would like to duplicate this.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I either soak the bag of BioMax (and the foam pad for the HOB) in my sump for at least one month or in an emergency I soak the bag of BioMax in a bowl for at least 24 hours. Straight Biospira or Seachem Stability both work well but Seachem Stability seems to create a bit stronger more flexible bio filter than Biospira which does work quicker though. Yep. Room temp is fine. Standard Aquaclear HOB 50 or 70 setup: soaked foam pad goes in first on the bottom and then the bag of BioMax goes on top.

Also run a foam bubble filter where the foam has been given the same soak as the above.

This way you have 3 sources of bio filter going in your QT: foam pad in the HOB; bag of BioMax in the HOB; foam pad on the bubble filter.

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I either soak the bag of BioMax (and the foam pad for the HOB) in my sump for at least one month or in an emergency I soak the bag of BioMax in a bowl for at least 24 hours. Straight Biospira or Seachem Stability both work well but Seachem Stability seems to create a bit stronger more flexible bio filter than Biospira which does work quicker though. Yep. Room temp is fine. Standard Aquaclear HOB 50 or 70 setup: soaked foam pad goes in first on the bottom and then the bag of BioMax goes on top.

Also run a foam bubble filter where the foam has been given the same soak as the above.

This way you have 3 sources of bio filter going in your QT: foam pad in the HOB; bag of BioMax in the HOB; foam pad on the bubble filter.

Thanks. Would an ac 70 be too big for a 29 gallon tank?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back