Seachem Matrix for QT use

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Day 11 of the experiment... Still no absorption :)

IMG_20180403_161118722.jpg

2. Sashaka

Sashaka Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Catskill Reef Member

I have two Marine Pure blocks in my 180 gal sick tank sump. No ammonia spike, and knock on wood, no bacteria bloom to date. The Marine Pure in my tank was completely cycled before starting treatment. Maybe that's the difference?

dwwataz likes this.
  3. Sashaka

Sashaka Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Catskill Reef Member

What!? Does this mean I can clean up the CopperPower from the rock I nuked with beach and fresh water with just vinegar?
    If so, I didn't know that!
    Thanks!!

4. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Doesn't work on rock; does work on some ceramic media like MarinePure, BioMax, Humblefish has had the same no absorbing on Seachem Matrix. I've done it myself on those two. Doesn't work on porous rock (coral rock). It absorbs the copper like a sponge and will not release it without lots and lots of work as 4Fordfamily can testify.

~ Gary

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    HotRocks likes this.
  5. Sashaka

Ahhhh. I knew it couldn't be that easy. Nothing in this hobby is, LOL. Thanks for setting me straight. It's good to know the Marine Pure block will clean up easily though. They were expensive.

Hey, @4FordFamily do you have a thread about your experience cleaning up the copper in your rock? I'd love to check it out as I will be doing the same, soon. Thanks!

6. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-remove-copper-from-dt.326316/

HotRocks likes this.
  7. rsumner

rsumner Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

I use Matrix on all my freshwater tanks and love it, but I always pair it with Renew and Purigen (and PhosGuard) too.

8. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

I've been SUPER busy the past few days, but did manage to take a Cu reading this morning (Day 24). Still no observable absorption.

IMG_20180416_120742751.jpg IMG_20180416_120849995.jpg

SoreninKL and Big G like this.
  9. Josh Kraft

Josh Kraft Well-Known Member

Do you still need a sponge when using matrix? Or can this take the place of it if you filled a HOB with all Matrix?

10. Humblefish

I would use both; the more surface area you have for bacteria to colonize, the stronger your biofilter will be.

SoreninKL and Big G like this.
  11. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

The sponge works absorbing, gathering debris; whereas the Matrix or BioMax cultivates good bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrites.

HotRocks and Humblefish like this.
  12. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Once you have your checker and reagents, it would be interesting to see the Hanna Reading. I don't have the Salifert Test Kit.

Humblefish likes this.
  13. Humblefish

Day 35 of the experiment, and I am claiming success! :) No further testing would be useful beyond this point, because I would expect Cupramine to begin dissipating somewhat after 30 days anyway.

Bottom line: Seachem Matrix does not/will not absorb Cupramine! So, it is "safe" to use as biomedia in a QT.

P.S. I am also using Seachem Matrix (in HOBs) with chelated copper (Copper Power) in 4 large QTs. No absorption detected in any of those tanks either.

IMG_20180427_163626308.jpg

14. Jose Mayo

Jose Mayo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Congratulations!

Big G and Humblefish like this.
  15. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Great info! Thanks for doing that! Interested to see what happens with fluval Biomax in my next QT batch!

Big G and Humblefish like this.
  16. SoreninKL

SoreninKL Active Member

fantasic!
    thank you very much for sharing :)

Humblefish, Big G and HotRocks like this.
  17. Overboard

Overboard Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

HumbleFish,

Any thoughts about using Matrix in a hospital tank with Chloroquine phosphate? Do you think your tests with copper could be inferred to mean Matrix would not absorb CP? (Not sure I truly understand “absorption” of copper in the first place. Is it being pulled into the rock somehow like saturating a sponge or a chemical reaction with the rock that renders the medication ineffective?). Shame there is no test for CP concentration.

Thanks!
    Mark

18. Humblefish

Hi Mark! I see no reason why Matrix couldn't also be used as bio media with Chloroquine phosphate.

Absorption occurs when one thing absorbs or is absorbed by another. For example, in a DT with porous rock the rock will absorb copper and then leach it back out. This back and forth causes the concentration of copper in the water column to rise and fall, and thus makes it difficult to maintain a stable Cu level. Stability doesn't usually occur until the rock is fully saturated and can hold no more copper. In theory, the same can happen with Chloroquine. But unlike copper, Chloroquine is also vulnerable to biodegradation: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

Big G and Overboard like this.
  19. Overboard

Overboard Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

Thanks!!!!

Humblefish likes this.
  20. RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21 Do It Yourself. R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I did not have a drop in my Cu levels until I used cuprisorb as well.

I use Seachem Matrix and The Seachem De-Nitrate media combined in the HT HOTB Aqueon 75 filter.

As always, thanks for sharing the knowledge sir.

Humblefish likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted