OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 11 of the experiment... Still no absorption :)

IMG_20180403_161118722.jpg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an 8x8x1 MarinePure plate in my QT. When I had to dose meds there was a tremendous bacterial bloom. I suspect it was because the plate doesn’t allow rapid water flow. Like matrix or biomax does in the HOB with the rapid water flowing through the filter. It turned into a big blob of green slime on one side. Big mess. Lesson learned.

I have two Marine Pure blocks in my 180 gal sick tank sump. No ammonia spike, and knock on wood, no bacteria bloom to date. The Marine Pure in my tank was completely cycled before starting treatment. Maybe that's the difference?

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based on this, you could bleach, rinse for bio film and then soak in vinegar to precipitate any copper into a harmless form,

What!? Does this mean I can clean up the CopperPower from the rock I nuked with beach and fresh water with just vinegar?
If so, I didn't know that!
Thanks!!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What!? Does this mean I can clean up the CopperPower from the rock I nuked with beach and fresh water with just vinegar?
If so, I didn't know that!
Thanks!!
Doesn't work on rock; does work on some ceramic media like MarinePure, BioMax, Humblefish has had the same no absorbing on Seachem Matrix. I've done it myself on those two. Doesn't work on porous rock (coral rock). It absorbs the copper like a sponge and will not release it without lots and lots of work as 4Fordfamily can testify.

~ Gary

Last edited:

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't work on rock; does work on some ceramic media like MarinePure, BioMax, Humblefish has had the same no absorbing on Seachem Matrix. I've done it myself on those two. Doesn't work on porous rock (coral rock). It absorbs the copper like a sponge and will not release it without lots and lots of work as 4Fordfamily can testify.

Ahhhh. I knew it couldn't be that easy. Nothing in this hobby is, LOL. Thanks for setting me straight. It's good to know the Marine Pure block will clean up easily though. They were expensive.

Hey, @4FordFamily do you have a thread about your experience cleaning up the copper in your rock? I'd love to check it out as I will be doing the same, soon. Thanks!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Matrix on all my freshwater tanks and love it, but I always pair it with Renew and Purigen (and PhosGuard) too.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been SUPER busy the past few days, but did manage to take a Cu reading this morning (Day 24). Still no observable absorption.

IMG_20180416_120742751.jpg
IMG_20180416_120849995.jpg

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still need a sponge when using matrix? Or can this take the place of it if you filled a HOB with all Matrix?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still need a sponge when using matrix? Or can this take the place of it if you filled a HOB with all Matrix?

I would use both; the more surface area you have for bacteria to colonize, the stronger your biofilter will be.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been SUPER busy the past few days, but did manage to take a Cu reading this morning (Day 24). Still no observable absorption.

IMG_20180416_120742751.jpg
IMG_20180416_120849995.jpg

Once you have your checker and reagents, it would be interesting to see the Hanna Reading. I don't have the Salifert Test Kit.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 35 of the experiment, and I am claiming success! :) No further testing would be useful beyond this point, because I would expect Cupramine to begin dissipating somewhat after 30 days anyway.

Bottom line: Seachem Matrix does not/will not absorb Cupramine! So, it is "safe" to use as biomedia in a QT.

P.S. I am also using Seachem Matrix (in HOBs) with chelated copper (Copper Power) in 4 large QTs. No absorption detected in any of those tanks either.

IMG_20180427_163626308.jpg

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HumbleFish,

Any thoughts about using Matrix in a hospital tank with Chloroquine phosphate? Do you think your tests with copper could be inferred to mean Matrix would not absorb CP? (Not sure I truly understand “absorption” of copper in the first place. Is it being pulled into the rock somehow like saturating a sponge or a chemical reaction with the rock that renders the medication ineffective?). Shame there is no test for CP concentration.

Thanks!
Mark

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HumbleFish,

Any thoughts about using Matrix in a hospital tank with Chloroquine phosphate? Do you think your tests with copper could be inferred to mean Matrix would not absorb CP? (Not sure I truly understand “absorption” of copper in the first place. Is it being pulled into the rock somehow like saturating a sponge or a chemical reaction with the rock that renders the medication ineffective?). Shame there is no test for CP concentration.

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark! I see no reason why Matrix couldn't also be used as bio media with Chloroquine phosphate.

Absorption occurs when one thing absorbs or is absorbed by another. For example, in a DT with porous rock the rock will absorb copper and then leach it back out. This back and forth causes the concentration of copper in the water column to rise and fall, and thus makes it difficult to maintain a stable Cu level. Stability doesn't usually occur until the rock is fully saturated and can hold no more copper. In theory, the same can happen with Chloroquine. But unlike copper, Chloroquine is also vulnerable to biodegradation: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have a drop in my Cu levels until I used cuprisorb as well.

I use Seachem Matrix and The Seachem De-Nitrate media combined in the HT HOTB Aqueon 75 filter.

As always, thanks for sharing the knowledge sir.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back