Seachem No. 28 Blocks?

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use these blocks in their reefs? What are you experiences? And would you recommend them?

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you notice any nitrate booms when you add them?

I used to use them then stopped until last week. The block was gone in 2 days, meaning i was way low on something. I also noticed a few days later my nitrates were at 20 when they never really got about 5 to 10 before.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The claim that they will dissolve only when something is needed is one of the most ridiculous claims I've ever heard in the hobby. In addition, some of the listed ingredients are known toxins above natural levels and have no known biological function. In short, another snake oil product that you absolutely do not need.

P.S. It's Sea lab not Seachem.

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that when i first put them in after long periods of not using them twice that they dissolve really fast but after the first one or two they last a long time then?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that when i first put them in after long periods of not using them twice that they dissolve really fast but after the first one or two they last a long time then?

Probably has something to do with whatever they're using as a binder, which I'm guessing is calcium. It's simply not possible that they're dissolving at a rate to correctly replenish what a tank needs.

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its not gonna pick and choose what it disolves and when but theres some kind of time release dependent upon need for that to be happening like it is

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its not gonna pick and choose what it disolves and when but theres some kind of time release dependent upon need for that to be happening like it is

Flow is probably the biggest factor from aquarium to aquarium or for someone not putting it in the same spot each time... Otherwisebasic water parameters may play a part, specifically it may dissolve quicker when calcium is lower.

OP
OP
Kbra

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there you go it dissolves fast until the lacking element is neutralized. Again its not pick and choosing but its dosing based off of overall lacking of elements.

All i know is it fixed my old Biocube after dosing all kinds of stuff to get our parameters right.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back