Seahorse disease

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no similar symtoms

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well on day the female of the pair just stopped eating im the morning and by the time i got home from school she was dead, and then the male died a week later and his body turned white in patches all over i remember. But i dont remember it being on their tails

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'd never recommend treating in the main tank, always in a hospital tank.
Treat with Furan II according to the instructions but take into account the volume you are dealing with as the treatment I believe gives dosing for 10g and you have only 10 litres which is about 1/4 of that 10g. Keeping the temperature at 20°C WILL aid in slowing the nasty bacterial growth. Open ended airlines are best to use for aeration and water movement.
I can't comment on using doxycycline as I've never used it but using it in the main tank will most likely destroy your good bacteria and you will end up with ammonia.
As it has stopped eating you will have to find some way to entice it to eat again. Can you source live ADULT brine shrimp, or, small ghost shrimp around the size of frozen mysis shrimp? Some use Allimax to try to stimulate appetites but it's expensive so just crush fresh peeled garlic clove to get the juice to add each day to the hospital tank.
Was hoping that you would respond to this person situation, your advice n help are always much appreciated and respected,, any advice I’ve given is based on things I’ve learned from reading your responses to members questions about health issues

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Ill try and find bbs.
Sorry, but unless your seahorse is a very young juvenile, bbs are not large enough. If you can't source them locally, try going to livebrineshrimp.com to order online but it would be faster to find small ghost shrimp or other shrimp at your LFS. Just put a few in at a time and even though they are usually only freshwater shrimp they will live a bit to get eaten if there is any interest at all in eating.
I it WON'T eat, it means resorting to tube feeding as if they go more than four days without eating it is often never going to happen for them.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but unless your seahorse is a very young juvenile, bbs are not large enough. If you can't source them locally, try going to livebrineshrimp.com to order online but it would be faster to find small ghost shrimp or other shrimp at your LFS. Just put a few in at a time and even though they are usually only freshwater shrimp they will live a bit to get eaten if there is any interest at all in eating.
I it WON'T eat, it means resorting to tube feeding as if they go more than four days without eating it is often never going to happen for them.
Oh right sorry think i misread what you said, thought you said bbs, sorry. I should be able to get something like that, maybe live mysis? My lfs isnt that great but hopwfully mgiht get to one of the better ones far away

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses can go downhill fast. Lack of appetite can mean several things. I would be hesitant to treat without having some other symptoms. It is vital she continues to get nourishment though. Adult live brine or ghost shrimp are good options to trigger a feeding response. Just make sure they are gut loaded (fed) a good HUFA supplement (for brine) or quality marine flake/pellet (for ghost shrimp).

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mum put her back in the DT, she said it would be too cold for her last night and i couldnt really argue as i was half asleep at that point .She ate a piece of myis, however i think her eyes have gone cloudy, and her face has small patches of white on them
20200213_165529.jpg

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what she considers "too cold" but putting the seahorse BACK in the display tank could undo all the effort so far and increase the chances of loosing it. Your mom needs to read this thread to understand what has to be done to save this seahorse if it is still possible.
Cool is better for seahorses with bacterial problems as it retards growth of the nasty bacteria. While normally in treatment we like to get down to 68°F (20°C) for overnight they can tolerate lower temps. Sometimes it might only mean at worst to move the hospital container to a slightly warmer area if one is still concerned.
All said and done, the display tank is most likely still the source of the problem as dissolved organics at the least are so high they contribute to the bacterial expansion. The tank will need extensive water changes with ongoing increased husbandry to clean out hidden detritus and uneaten food and more frequent larger water changes.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
chime in following think she is a he

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mum put her back in the DT, she said it would be too cold for her last night and i couldnt really argue as i was half asleep at that point .She ate a piece of myis, however i think her eyes have gone cloudy, and her face has small patches of white on them
20200213_165529.jpg
So sad hope things work out

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bummer hope pulls through ,from pic seems to have large belly ,these are my two males ,female is just poking nose in bottom
WP_20170421_001.jpg
of pic 2nd is my girl
WP_20180622_10_56_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20170421_001.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry messed that all up single is my girl best wishes

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
reg hippocampus my babies over 5yrs now

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i tried for two years with the help of a clownfish breeder ,longest lived 28 days just had to stop ,she was impregnating both males two weeks apart from fall to spring constantly very overwhelming but i tried everything ,then prob at 3+ ys old broods and babies were getting smaller and smaller now they only 2 3 times in winter but are healthy and happy
WP_20170223_09_32_25_Pro.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back