Seahorse reef

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does the Tomini tang do with them? Any aggression towards the ponies? Any tips to curb it outcompeting them for food at feeding time?

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the Tomini tang do with them? Any aggression towards the ponies? Any tips to curb it outcompeting them for food at feeding time?
Outside of eating algae off them at times no aggression. I overfeed always as there’s so much to feed. I’d say overpower your filtration and overfeeding as that will always be a concern. My guy stayed little as he’s got 2 years with me.

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank! I have a much smaller cube I'm planning to set up fairly similar once I move next year. 24x24x24 - this is great inspiration!
i started with a 30 x 30 x 24. In reality of you can overpower your filter and keep the water around 71-72 or less you’ll do great. I’m in Florida so the temp was the hard part for me

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Outside of eating algae off them at times no aggression. I overfeed always as there’s so much to feed. I’d say overpower your filtration and overfeeding as that will always be a concern. My guy stayed little as he’s got 2 years with me.
That's one of the main concerns I've had. On a youtube video I just watched I saw the note: "Disclaimer: Don't put tangs with seahorses. These ones are moving to another tank shortly. Tangs eventually graze on and bite the seahorses. That's not good for them." Do you ever notice sores on their skin after the tang eats algae off them?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i started with a 30 x 30 x 24. In reality of you can overpower your filter and keep the water around 71-72 or less you’ll do great. I’m in Florida so the temp was the hard part for me
I'm also in Florida (Pinellas), planning on running skimmer, roller, UV, and ats if I can get away with it. Luckily the tank is going to be set up for a bit as holding until our move next year (to Hernando) so I'll get an idea of temps with all that running to see how it goes with everything before it switches to ponies.

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in Florida (Pinellas), planning on running skimmer, roller, UV, and ats if I can get away with it. Luckily the tank is going to be set up for a bit as holding until our move next year (to Hernando) so I'll get an idea of temps with all that running to see how it goes with everything before it switches to ponies.
That’s basically what I have. Roller and ATS make a huge difference. Socks were a pain.

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I thought I was watching a 40 gallon until what I thought was a damsel turned out to be a Tomini (?) tang! Stunning reef!
In defense of damsels everywhere the Tomini is tiny lol

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is truly amazing. It's very inspiring to see something so different thats executed so well. I had no idea that tank was 320 gallon... i also thought it was about 50, initially until I saw that 2 year old tomini tang. Didn't realize the sea horses can get so big.

What's your stock list? I've been having trouble finding accurate temperature information for tankmates for my blue spot jawfish. Every fish site says 72-78 degrees for every fish. Looking for one that can handle the 60s... assuming my tank will actually get that cool during winter months. In that note... do you use a heater that can be set to as low as 60? All mine start at 70. I haven't really looked around yet though as it's still warm outside.

Last question... how has your longevity been with those red and blue finger sponges? Are you adding anything special to keep them going? Silica? Phyto? Specific trace elements? Magic sponge food?

OP
OP
L

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is truly amazing. It's very inspiring to see something so different thats executed so well. I had no idea that tank was 320 gallon... i also thought it was about 50, initially until I saw that 2 year old tomini tang. Didn't realize the sea horses can get so big.

What's your stock list? I've been having trouble finding accurate temperature information for tankmates for my blue spot jawfish. Every fish site says 72-78 degrees for every fish. Looking for one that can handle the 60s... assuming my tank will actually get that cool during winter months. In that note... do you use a heater that can be set to as low as 60? All mine start at 70. I haven't really looked around yet though as it's still warm outside.

Last question... how has your longevity been with those red and blue finger sponges? Are you adding anything special to keep them going? Silica? Phyto? Specific trace elements? Magic sponge food?
Sponges and acans have not done well. I keep temps at 70. We have about 50 seahorses, 10 mollies, 15 or so garden eels, and 4 varied dart fish. Since I’m in Miami no heater needed. ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back