Search Before You Post

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!
I have noticed quite a few posts asking questions that have already been answered multiple times on the forum. It's easy to search, and you may find it quicker to get your answer by doing so. The magnifying glass icon on the top right of this screen will get you there.

This forum is a time capsule of information, and I think it deserves our time in reading it. I know I certainly have learned a few things myself! Happy Reefing!

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!
I have noticed quite a few posts asking questions that have already been answered multiple times on the forum. It's easy to search, and you may find it quicker to get your answer by doing so. The magnifying glass icon on the top right of this screen will get you there.

This forum is a time capsule of information, and I think it deserves our time in reading it. I know I certainly have learned a few things myself! Happy Reefing!
There will always be a cycle of people who post without researching.. and hand in hand will be the people who makes posts like this telling them to search first :face-with-tongue:
Circle Of Life Nbc GIF by Good Girls

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people do research and ask for advice and help with the same problem or issue ? what is wrong with that?

I am one of these people . I research on my own. youtube , google , forums, books and will also reach out on forums and instagram for advice or thoughts.

I collect as much data as i can and filter out bad advice and go with the good advice whether that is confirmed by something i found myself and verified by others on the site

I find on this site for myself anyone I dont get responses anyway so i dont come on this site that often

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people do research and ask for advice and help with the same problem or issue ? what is wrong with that?

I am one of these people . I research on my own. youtube , google , forums, books and will also reach out on forums and instagram for advice or thoughts.

I collect as much data as i can and filter out bad advice and go with the good advice whether that is confirmed by something i found myself and verified by others on the site

I find on this site for myself anyone I dont get responses anyway so i dont come on this site that often
My post isn't to scold people for not searching, it is to suggest that you may find your answer (or a correct one) sooner by doing so.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost everyone that asks for help gets it. A lot of times it the same question. If u search it and research it and still either have an issue or can’t find the solution just premise it in the question. Shows your doing your due diligence and may garner additional effort from the community.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with the search function is you need to know how to define a search parameter. Else you get a chitin of results you need to wade through and often still not find what you are after.
But yes it's annoying seeing the same question asked just days apart and no doubt as a relative newbie I am guilty

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminds me of one of those corporate emails that everyone replies 'all' to then people continue to reply all telling everyone how wrong it is and what to do...

On point though fast moving threads regardless of platform are soon to be hidden. Searches do work but sometimes the search will fail because of using the wrong keyword. We all know the drill.

Due diligence is nice but not sure a new post on it helps thus the reply all nugget.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post isn't to scold people for not searching, it is to suggest that you may find your answer (or a correct one) sooner by doing so.
Sure that might work for a few posts yes if it is a basic answer . However most problems in reefing are complex and send you down a rabbithole

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you mean well and are trying to help rather than scold people, but I am all for people posting all their questions. If questions were limited to what has been answered before this would be an extremely boring forum. 95% of discussion posts have been brought up before. More importantly even basic questions and answers can vary tremendously in context of a person's specific tank and situation.

I find discussion always good. For those who don't want to answer "is this aiptasia" for the tenth time in a day I suggest not clicking on the "is this aiptasia" thread.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with the search function is you need to know how to define a search parameter. Else you get a chitin of results you need to wade through and often still not find what you are after.
But yes it's annoying seeing the same question asked just days apart and no doubt as a relative newbie I am guilty
Just to add about the search feature; the search feature here on R2R can sometimes be really nice, but sometimes it can also be pretty unwieldy. If a search on the site here doesn't turn up results I'm looking for, I've found it can be pretty effective to Google that same search and end the search query with "reef2reef". For example (since I can't recall one of the searches I've actually had to do this with right off hand), I might search the following with Google: "sand rinse thread reef2reef"

Between the forum's search feature and Google, I can usually find the info I'm looking for here on the forum, but sometimes there's better information available for my questions on a different site.

Anyway, I don't want to go on for too long here, but, suffice it to say, learning how to utilize search engines effectively is a learned skill that a lot of people have yet to master - so (tiring though reading the same question over and over may be), I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and help them (if I can) even though it's a simple question (or I just ignore it if I'm not feeling up for answering the question again at the moment).

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know this for certain, but I think that the owner of R2R would have no issues with people asking the same questions over and over again. This leads to more content and more google rankings and helps grow the website.

Secondly, I think some of the older content is outdated.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back