Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to give this a try once I finish my BRS additives. I only going to do the Alk part though and keep the BRS Ca and Mg additives.
Everything should still be 1:1 then right?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to give this a try once I finish my BRS additives. I only going to do the Alk part though and keep the BRS Ca and Mg additives.
Everything should still be 1:1 then right?

Yes, BRS additives are fine to use for this two part, and it is the same potency as the one that BRS uses.

Remember, the magnesium part is not 1:1 with the others. It is a much lower volume, and also does not need to be added as often, just in the right ratio of 610 mL per gallon of the others.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little confused with all this as I am new to dosing but what's the difference between first and second new diy 2 part Randy?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little confused with all this as I am new to dosing but what's the difference between first and second new diy 2 part Randy?

One has two parts and the other has three. The one with two parts requires an extra ingredient: sodium sulfate.

They both accomplish the same thing with the same potency (assuming you use all three parts in the ratio directed).

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One has two parts and the other has three. The one with two parts requires an extra ingredient: sodium sulfate.

They both accomplish the same thing with the same potency (assuming you use all three parts in the ratio directed).

OK so here is my understanding. formula:

Part 1- Alk part
Add 283 grams of sodium hydroxide to 1 gallon of fresh water.

Part 2- Calcium part
Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate.

Prt 3- Magnesium part
Dissolve magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups)
in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume.

I have airline going into skimmer, also have outside air coming in to wood stone 24/7. would I continue to keep both these lines?

my alk is at 7.7-8.0 at night.. calcium is at 470 and mag is at 1370. Can I just dose alk to get ph up to 8.1or so? and later add cal/mag as needed?

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been using sodium hydroxide with ati essentials calcium and magnesium (with trace elements)?

JSpen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this still boost my salinity over time like other two parts?

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley First off, thank you for your continued research and help you provide. I have a question about Mg. I perform about 10-15% water changes weekly and my Mg stays at 1490-1500. Is it still necessary to dose the 610ml of the Mg mix after a gallon of Alk and Ca has been dosed even though my Mg level is good?

This method has been working great btw.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley First off, thank you for your continued research and help you provide. I have a question about Mg. I perform about 10-15% water changes weekly and my Mg stays at 1490-1500. Is it still necessary to dose the 610ml of the Mg mix after a gallon of Alk and Ca has been dosed even though my Mg level is good?

This method has been working great btw.

I'm glad the method is working! :)

The magnesium is likely high due to the salt mix, and the additive will likely keep it high. We really do not know the impact of excessive chloride relative to sulfate, which is the only drawback to not dosing the mag part in a situation like yours. I'd probably not dose it.

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad the method is working! :)

The magnesium is likely high due to the salt mix, and the additive will likely keep it high. We really do not know the impact of excessive chloride relative to sulfate, which is the only drawback to not dosing the mag part in a situation like yours. I'd probably not dose it.

Thank you!

jkcoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I would love to buy you a beer, I have received so much knowledge from your posts over the years... thank you, sir!! Anxious to give this a try, especially here where the midwest winters are raging and the house is all closed up, I can't get my Ph up. thanks again!

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the exact one I use. Gotta be careful with this stuff. If you get it on your skin, it'll burn! Cant imagine what it would do if it gets on your eyes.

Melt them and possibly cause blindness. Yeah it's nothing to mess around with. I'm actually thinking to stop using it as my daughter is getting older (1.5 years). All my stuff is in the basement and theoretically out of reach, but it does make me nervous. If people are careful it is fine, but gotta pay a little bit more attention with things.

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melt them and possibly cause blindness. Yeah it's nothing to mess around with. I'm actually thinking to stop using it as my daughter is getting older (1.5 years). All my stuff is in the basement and theoretically out of reach, but it does make me nervous. If people are careful it is fine, but gotta pay a little bit more attention with things.

Have you noticed a PH boost with it? My PH is more stable and it may be my ATS in combination with this but I didnt see a boost.

jkcoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stupid question... as this recipe is more caustic, do I need to worry about using different lines on my dosing pumps or anything else?

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stupid question... as this recipe is more caustic, do I need to worry about using different lines on my dosing pumps or anything else?

It's only been a few weeks but I use the usual RODI type lines and havent noticed any of them getting soft. No problems with the lines on my DOS pump heads either.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 112 57.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.9%
Back