Seeding dry rock with LR ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MAXreefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MAXreefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Messages
435
Reaction score
125
Location
Las Vegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after great input from many of you here I decided to start my new tank with dry rock to avoid any pests and seeding the dry rock with a piece of LR.

I have 2 options:
I have some LR I had in a tank I took down a couple weeks ago. I had quite some algae and cyano issues on the rock but no pest like red bugs etc. in the tank. I gave them a good bath in H2O2 and store them in a bucket with a heater and powerhead.
Is this LR still "live" enough to seed dry rock and is it safe to use as I had the cyano and algae issue?

The other option would be is to get somewhere a fully cured piece of LR to seed the dry rock but of course I don't know if there are any pest coming with it.

Suggestions and input welcome!!

Michael
 
If you keep the old live rock in the bucket for 6 weeks or so, totally dark, you will keep it live and kill off the algae. Then you could use that to seed your new rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new