Seeking advice on Vibrant

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing vibrant April 1st due to some annoying turf algae. I have a 20 gallon aquarium that I set up in January.

The Vibrant instructions suggest 1 ml for every 10 gallons every two weeks. I only dosed 1 ml of vibrant April 1st because I wanted to start out slow. My original plan was to dose 1 ml every two weeks. What are everyones’ thoughts on dosing 1 ml of vibrant every week?

My goal is to drastically reduce the turf algae without impacting my tank inhabitants.

Some tank parameters:

Temp: 77
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.0
Phosphates: .02 (May be lower now. Currently running phosguard)
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any system small like that is best disassembly cleaned and the algae directly killed vs working through the water, waiting for a target to rot, adding to internal waste stores we could just fix during the right takedown move. It’s less impact on your system vs sustained param changes from dosers, taking weeks sometimes.

Vibrant isn’t worth it here, it’s cheaper than twenty bucks to fix your system. That being said, people want the no work additive and they don’t mind the waste either, vibrant has indeed killed turf algae in some posts. There is nothing that beats surgical cleaning and target kill for nano reef longevity. Vibrant is for reefs so large you can’t get to the target directly.
vibrant has been used in a thousand nano reefs, per threads.

also in threads, the work we do fixing vibrant invasion trade offs: cyano x every reef that’s used it lol

My advice above is for both your invasions

the current and the coming one

using vibrant prevents you from fixing the first invasion challenge directly. Deliberately, without hesitation...core nano reef skillz

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters seem a bit too low, have you got any coral in the tank?

U

User1

View Badges
I hate to do this to you but here are 302 pages worth of information on Vibrant. It is a great thread and I strongly suggest you going through it if you haven't already. Also depending on how much algae you are dealing with it may give your test results a false reading (because they are consuming the nutrients and thus growing...).

I'm not going to get into should you, what works best, etc. However, if you want information on how the product works, when it didn't, how long it took, dosing information and what not. Then you need to read the thread.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing beats work threads for discerning truth in reefing via patterns. That’s one bad boy work thread

a sick way to use vibrant that nobody considers: don’t apply it to a wrecked tank for once in human history.

make the tank clean, remove the detritus feeding these tradeoff invasions, and kill the targets so we’re practiced on taking control of a small aquarium. Assemble a cloudless not invaded reef, then dose vibrant to prevent growback. Half as much might work then, and on much less target.

cyano won’t take over without that filth all around the tank

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the recommended amount of 1ml per gallon but dosed every week, like your thinking.
For about 5-6 weeks, nothing, then in week 7-8 big reduction, in week 12 gone.
Had no effects on anything except the green hair and the bubble.
I still dose but every two weeks now.

7003DF46-9C85-4755-9320-98DC9E06F3D7.jpeg

OP
OP
JSully_94

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any system small like that is best disassembly cleaned and the algae directly killed vs working through the water, waiting for a target to rot, adding to internal waste stores we could just fix during the right takedown move. It’s less impact on your system vs sustained param changes from dosers, taking weeks sometimes.

Vibrant isn’t worth it here, it’s cheaper than twenty bucks to fix your system. That being said, people want the no work additive and they don’t mind the waste either, vibrant has indeed killed turf algae in some posts. There is nothing that beats surgical cleaning and target kill for nano reef longevity. Vibrant is for reefs so large you can’t get to the target directly.

also in threads, the work we do fixing vibrant invasion trade offs: cyano x every reef that’s used it lol

using vibrant prevents you from fixing the first invasion challenge directly. Deliberately, without hesitation...core nano reef skillz

So I have a birdsnest coral attached to one of my rocks. I figure I could just take all (3) of the rocks out and scrub them with a 1 part vinegar 2 part water solution.
1. Will this kill the beneficial bacteria on the rock?
2. Will this kill my coral?

OP
OP
JSully_94

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hate to do this to you but here are 302 pages worth of information on Vibrant. It is a great thread and I strongly suggest you going through it if you haven't already. Also depending on how much algae you are dealing with it may give your test results a false reading (because they are consuming the nutrients and thus growing...).

I'm not going to get into should you, what works best, etc. However, if you want information on how the product works, when it didn't, how long it took, dosing information and what not. Then you need to read the thread.

Nothing beats work threads for discerning truth in reefing via patterns. That’s one bad boy work thread

a sick way to use vibrant that nobody considers: don’t apply it to a wrecked tank for once in human history.

make the tank clean, remove the detritus feeding these tradeoff invasions, and kill the targets so we’re practiced on taking control of a small aquarium. Assemble a cloudless not invaded reef, then dose vibrant to prevent growback. Half as much might work then, and on much less target.

cyano won’t take over without that filth all around the tank

Maybe just cease dosing Vibrant all together and just manually remove the algae with a water/vinegar solution per my response above?

OP
OP
JSully_94

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the recommended amount of 1ml per gallon but dosed every week, like your thinking.

Did you experience any negative consequences? Cyno outbreaks?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dose at 80% of recommended and at night. I did 2x per week and it worked FAST

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was like @Uncle99 who said:

“I used the recommended amount of 1ml per gallon but dosed every week, like your thinking. For about 5-6 weeks, nothing, then in week 7-8 big reduction, in week 12 gone.”

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sully, your tank is very new and you're going to go through 'phases'
Part of this hobby is patience. It can take many, many months for your tank to 'settle'

My recommendation is to stop 'dosing' money and let the cycles happen.
You're going to go through diatoms, algae and other stuff.
If you keep throwing bottled stuff at it it'll never balance out and settle in.

Keep it clean with maintenance, remove uneaten food, scrub the rocks if they get hairy and use socks/floss to remove the scrubbed stuff.
Blow off the rocks, change the socks/floss whatever you use.

6 months from now you'll have a tank you'll be happy with and you won't have been chasing your tail spending money on products you didn't need.

Be patient and keep it clean !!!!

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily agree there @Greg P . Vibrant is heterotrophic bacteria, waiting for our 4 month cycle to finish is effectively just waiting for that bacteria to form naturally. Vibrant is just speeding the process up.
I do agree with the level of maintenance you recommend though. Of course you have to team it up with good husbandry, its not a magic cure, you need to keep on top of maintenance and water changes.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'll agree with you there @JoshO where you mention maintenance is needed.
I'll not agree with you about the heterotrophic bacteria and thinking Vibrant is helping the addition.
To each his own.
I'll not spend the money on something I haven't seen proven, and has been shown to cause more problems than are worth the money.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'll agree with you there @JoshO where you mention maintenance is needed.
I'll not agree with you about the heterotrophic bacteria and thinking Vibrant is helping the addition.
To each his own.
I'll not spend the money on something I haven't seen proven, and has been shown to cause more problems than are worth the money.
Out of curiosity what issues have you seen it cause? I've seen a few tests where GHA have taken over badly as it's gotten rid of other algaes, but consistent use has eventually overcome this too.
I am 100% in the boat that agrees good maintenance and vigilance is the best cure, but I do think taking everything out and rip cleaning should be a last resort

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J

perfect rationale but change it to peroxide vs vinegar, since this thread has about 500 before and after jobs for nine years :)

if you read that, in a nano you’ll never have any other invasion for the life of the tank, you just simply opt out vs opt in. No harm to corals, we don’t touch non targets with the cure. There are truly many ways to fix your challenge, that way fixes the cause too.

one day all your algae surgery stops, don’t think this lasts forever. Hand guiding is required until coralline or coral flesh occupies the spot where algae once did (Biorejecting makes you not have to work one day, my last algae treatment was in about 2011)

notice key details that differ us from the masses:

-test rocks. You can tell on half a rock if this works, before you attack it all.

detritus
-only this system removes the fuel for your invasion, other methods compound it for future fights.

-contacting X to your nontarget corals...we don’t. Our work is target-specific. Any doser, med or pill isn’t target specific it contacts your nontargets

wait time
-however long it takes you to be willing is how long it takes to get your tank back from the invasion and your vinegar idea sounds 100% willing, peroxide is better.

-we wouldn’t apply vinegar or peroxide to a target, that’s what the masses do. The whole point on page one is to create a blank space where a target was (by rasping it off) and then attacking the former anchor spot with the burner liquid

****if you can’t get peroxide then yes, sub vinegar for spot work. Applied during nano surgery it will likely be the same, you can test it to know beforehand. Peroxide will be better though if accessible.

post tank pics

Last edited:

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My bottle says 1 ml( 20 drops) per 10 gallons, am I missing something?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back