Selcon vs Vitachem for HLLE treatment

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just got two bristletooth tangs out of QT (Tomini+Kole) where I did treat with copper. THe tomini developed HLLE so I got it out of QT and into DT as soon as all prophylactic treatments were finished. He's now happily swimming around in my 75 and munching algae, which has perfect params. A little too perfect for a reef but thats another story. :rolleyes: However, I want this HLLE gone asap, and I've read the two best things for giving it a Uno Reverse is to change tanks (done), and treat foods with Selcon or Vitachem. My question is, which one is best for this application? From what I've read Selcon is garlic+HUFAs mainly, and vitachem is a combo with vitamins and HUFAs. Correct me if I'm wrong. If thats the case you would think vitachem would be the best. I could always order both, but if Vitachem already has both you'd think Selcon would be a waste. Thanks!

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed nori soaked in vitachem. I had HLLE on my purple tang after treating with copper and it went away gradually. I think just being out of the copper and getting a healthy diet is the key. It takes time.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoecon is an even better vitamin choice, was formulated for HLLE. I actually use selcon, zoecon, AND vita chem. :)

Clean water, rinse any carbon dust out before use very well, and good high nutrition diets help. Tangs need nori, make sure you offer at least two kinds. :)

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoecon is an even better vitamin choice, was formulated for HLLE. I actually use selcon, zoecon, AND vita chem. :)

Clean water, rinse any carbon dust out before use very well, and good high nutrition diets help. Tangs need nori, make sure you offer at least two kinds. :)

Why two kinds of Nori?

OP
OP
C-Reefer

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-...econ&qid=1551358809&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull This stuff?

I don't run carbon, and I'll admit diet in QT was not the highest. I offered two colors of Nori, purple and green, but they didn't eat very much frozen or pellets even though I tried. They were stuck in a very basic little 20 long with some PVC, so they weren't very active. Now they're in my 75 with lots of varied algae+regular twice a day feedings+natural settings I'm hoping they'll settle in quickly.

I feed nori soaked in vitachem. I had HLLE on my purple tang after treating with copper and it went away gradually. I think just being out of the copper and getting a healthy diet is the key. It takes time.

This is what I was thinking was going to help the most, but I want to help them recover as fast as possible. Tangs are one of my two dream fish (the other is a mandarin which I'm culturing towards).

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall seeing a video about an imperator angel who had HLLE. The individual put miracle mud in the sump and over time ther colors of the fish were more vibrant than ever. Apparently the trace elements that get absorbed by the algae is eaten by fish that helps cure HLLE.

Back