Semi-newbie with a problem

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SandJ I thought bristle worms were gray and red like the picture I've attached. The worm in my tank has rainbow coloring... the picture doesn't do it justice but it's very iridescent. I've never had a bristle worm this big either. Are there different types of bristle worms?

images.jpeg

Bristle worms can get huge. Depending on what you have in the tank, you may want to remove it. I have seen them take food away from corals. I have also seen my clownfish fight with them and end up with a face full of bristles.

To remove, I usually put a piece of frozen food just a few inches outside where it stays. Make it have to stretch out for the food. When it does, I am waiting just above it with tweezer/tongs, some type of grabby device. You have to be quick and use a firm grip-but not so firm you pinch in into. They are stronger than you think. Just keep a grip on it and very slowly start pulling it from its hole. Or just build a bottle trap and wait.

They bigger ones tend to have that iridescent look. There are fire worms, but they tend to have red dots down each side.

OP
OP
littlemacros

littlemacros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms can get huge. Depending on what you have in the tank, you may want to remove it. I have seen them take food away from corals. I have also seen my clownfish fight with them and end up with a face full of bristles.

To remove, I usually put a piece of frozen food just a few inches outside where it stays. Make it have to stretch out for the food. When it does, I am waiting just above it with tweezer/tongs, some type of grabby device. You have to be quick and use a firm grip-but not so firm you pinch in into. They are stronger than you think. Just keep a grip on it and very slowly start pulling it from its hole. Or just build a bottle trap and wait.

They bigger ones tend to have that iridescent look. There are fire worms, but they tend to have red dots down each side.

I have to grab it??? Even with my 13 inch tongs, the idea gives me the heebyjeebies. I know I sound extremely wimpy but I just don't like touching worms even with tongs

There has to be another way What if I fill my tank with arrow crabs? ...okay maybe not FILL but what it I put an arrow crab in my tank?? I have only the LR and sand rn.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole thread so far for me...

On a real note - give making a trap a try! The one I tried in the past involved placing frozen food inside of panty hose, tied on both ends so it couldn't escape. Place the trap by the worms usual spot and allow them to crawl in as much as possible. Give it a quick removal and away it goes.

The other option is to suck them up quickly with a turkey baster when they're out feeding and their body is exposed.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a identification situation i need some help with.

First, I want to introduce myself. My name's Alissa, and I'm from Michigan. I was in th reef hobby for a few years. For 3 years I had a 65 gallon deep sandbed reeftank that I set up in a way that I only had to do fresh water top offs for evaporation as well as a 2.5 gallon pico tank for dwarf seahorses. My tank was going beautiful for years until I had to move and take it down.
Recently with the whole covid situation, I decided to restart my hobby as I have nothing better to do and miss it and figies nows as good of a time as any.
So I've been running my pico for about 3 weeks now, with just life rock and live sand (I like to build the take up slowly). I've been watching my live rock for critters and so far I have discovered only a few small bristle worms(which I dont mind). I also have a very large iridescent clam worm(looks like a very large bristle worm but is iridescent like mother of pearl) I'm pretty sure thats what it is...
My troubles thoough are with this new worm I've discovered...or I think its a worm? I need help with some identification on it. It is smooth with no hairs, bristles or bumps. Its about 3 or 4 inches long when streched out. It grabs/bites/mabey sucks? at the rock and looks like its swallowing sand and stuff(im hoping not critters). It's bottom half looks lighter, kinda reminds me of an earth worm. I thought it might be a snail or clam at first but it moves around almost like a snake. Any help would be lovely!

20200524_210133.jpg 20200524_210111.jpg 20200524_205716.jpg 20200524_205851.jpg
Welcome to R2R and back to reefing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back