Serpent star MIA

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a fairly large serpent Star at WWC. Brought it home and put it in the tank after temp acclimation (was an 11 hour drive, salinity matched so after floating added it directly to tank). It’s a red/orange beauty. Seemed to do great for about a week, was in a rock but moved from one area/ rock to another then just disappeared without a trace. Not sure if it’s under rocks or in the sandbed but first experience with them so wondering. There’s no trace of it. I have 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 tangs, and a Diamond goby. Several hermit crabs and a purple reef lobster.
Think it’s just hiding? I never see it after lights off nor do I see any trace of it in the morning before the lights come on. Not sure what to think

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing those things are pretty elusive so catching a glimpse may be hard. Maybe set a camera or phone up for several hours of video and see him that way. Most people report just seeing a small end of an arm sticking to a rock but never see the whole creature.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing those things are pretty elusive so catching a glimpse may be hard. Maybe set a camera or phone up for several hours of video and see him that way. Most people report just seeing a small end of an arm sticking to a rock but never see the whole creature.
Yeah we were seeing it’s arms but now nothing. There is a large shelf rock on the side it was staying on so it may be under there. We do see an area that looks dug out and it’s not where the goby sleeps so who know. I hope it’s ok! Thanks for replying!

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: finally saw two tentacles coming out from under a rock this morning Siri g feeding of shrimp and blood worms. We were losing hope but it’s alive and well under the large shelf rock we have on the bottom of the tank. It’s not flat so there’s a space for critters underneath. I was thinking that’s where it may be but the peppermint shrimp has also claimed that area and we were afraid it had killed the star but honestly the star is much larger than the shrimp. I wish that danged shrimp would move over to the other end of the tank where the aiptasia (and the reason I have it to begin with) is!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back