Serpent starfish in feef tank?

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve seen a lot of mixed comments about this on whether it’s safe or not to have a serpent/ brittle starfish in your reef tank. What would your opinion be? And if not, what starfish would you recommend?

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 100 brittle starfish in my reef tank and they haven’t bothered any of my corals. The live rock I got is absolutely crawling with them. Can’t speak to serpent stars but I see them cleaning the rocks at night and catching anything in the water column that goes their way during Feedings.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 100 brittle starfish in my reef tank and they haven’t bothered any of my corals. The live rock I got is absolutely crawling with them. Can’t speak to serpent stars but I see them cleaning the rocks at night and catching anything in the water column that goes their way during Feedings.
That’s great to know. Thank you!

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what type of serpent starfish you are talking about. If you mean the miniature ones, they are perfectly reef safe and most reefers actually prefer them and they reproduce like crazy, the large green ones are the ones that you may want to avoid those are the ones that get huge and eat your fish.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what type of serpent starfish you are talking about. If you mean the miniature ones, they are perfectly reef safe and most reefers actually prefer them and they reproduce like crazy, the large green ones are the ones that you may want to avoid those are the ones that get huge and eat your fish.
Yes, I did read up about the green ones being very aggressive. Thanks for your help!!

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a black brittle star for many years that's easily 12 inches from one tip to another. Had never bothered anything as far as I can tell. Only see him once every 2-3 years when I move the tank or redo the rock work.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two Harlequin serpents that came from my previous system. Its probably been 5 years now and have never had an issue with them. I have however seen them eat an already dead fish whole. Kind of amazing to see how large a food item they can consume.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go

3180D5EB-E378-4826-98EE-76F239A92A76.jpeg

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several 1-1.5' serpents and brittle stars, and have never seen them eat small fish, big fish, or bother anything. They are voracious detritivores though, so they will eat anything that is dead

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back