Set up plan for an 85G: will this work?

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

New to saltwater, and trying to plan my first build. I think for the first year or so, I'll be trying LPS and softies, but I'd like to have the option to move on to SPS eventually once parameters are stable.

I've done so much research over the past year, but I'm still confused! And I don't want to keep putting off getting started just because my budget won't let me buy everything all at once, so I'm trying to figure out if I can buy things in stages. Does this initial equipment/plan look ok?

Tank - Cade Pro Reef 900 S2 (98G total, 85G display, 35x27x24)
Return pump - Aqua Medic DC 3.2 (792G/h)
Skimmer - Great White 5 (26 - 132G)
Powerheads - MP10 x2 (can I start with just one?? If LPS don't need too much flow, will this be enough and I can add more later, or will I end up with algae from not enough flow?)
Lights - Kessil A360x (I plan to eventually have two, but could I start off with just one on one side of the tank, and only place corals on that side? Or will this cause issues? I'm going to add corals very slowly).
Heater - no idea, but planning on two small heaters for a failsafe in case one stops.

Other things I think I'll add down the line - a refugium if I have nitrate/phosphate issues, a doser or reactor of some sort if calcium/alkalinity become a problem, a controller (??? maybe? very unsure whether I need one), a quarantine tank (I'm hoping I can get away without using this for the very first fish that go in).

I plan to use dry rock and stock really slowly - do I need to add the full amount of rock from the start, or can I increase it over time as I increase fish/coral? I.e. if I'm planning a few 'islands' in my scape can I start with just one?

I'm also really confused about controllers. I know I want to be able to program my lights so they turn on/off at the same time each day, but do I need to be able to do this from day 1? Ditto for the powerheads, do they come with a way of setting them to have variable flow, or do I need a separate controller for that?

And final question - ATO. The Cade comes with an ATO gravity fed reservoir. I assume this means the water will automatically drip down from the reservoir into the sump as needed, but I see a lot of people with built in ATOs also buy a Tunze osmolator - do I need one, or will this ATO work without extra equipment?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds likse an awesome start, definitely for you're first set up. As far as adding rock as you go you can but ime adding it all at once I had one cycle. Adding more, not 1 or 2 prices, but a few, caused my tank to cycle each time I added. That was 4 or 5 prices at a time. I did find a great product that sped up the process and greatly improved my bacterial bed and that was turbo 900. Good luck and happy reefing

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

New to saltwater, and trying to plan my first build. I think for the first year or so, I'll be trying LPS and softies, but I'd like to have the option to move on to SPS eventually once parameters are stable.

I've done so much research over the past year, but I'm still confused! And I don't want to keep putting off getting started just because my budget won't let me buy everything all at once, so I'm trying to figure out if I can buy things in stages. Does this initial equipment/plan look ok?

Tank - Cade Pro Reef 900 S2 (98G total, 85G display, 35x27x24)
Return pump - Aqua Medic DC 3.2 (792G/h)
Skimmer - Great White 5 (26 - 132G)
Powerheads - MP10 x2 (can I start with just one?? If LPS don't need too much flow, will this be enough and I can add more later, or will I end up with algae from not enough flow?)
Lights - Kessil A360x (I plan to eventually have two, but could I start off with just one on one side of the tank, and only place corals on that side? Or will this cause issues? I'm going to add corals very slowly).
Heater - no idea, but planning on two small heaters for a failsafe in case one stops.

Other things I think I'll add down the line - a refugium if I have nitrate/phosphate issues, a doser or reactor of some sort if calcium/alkalinity become a problem, a controller (??? maybe? very unsure whether I need one), a quarantine tank (I'm hoping I can get away without using this for the very first fish that go in).

I plan to use dry rock and stock really slowly - do I need to add the full amount of rock from the start, or can I increase it over time as I increase fish/coral? I.e. if I'm planning a few 'islands' in my scape can I start with just one?

I'm also really confused about controllers. I know I want to be able to program my lights so they turn on/off at the same time each day, but do I need to be able to do this from day 1? Ditto for the powerheads, do they come with a way of setting them to have variable flow, or do I need a separate controller for that?

And final question - ATO. The Cade comes with an ATO gravity fed reservoir. I assume this means the water will automatically drip down from the reservoir into the sump as needed, but I see a lot of people with built in ATOs also buy a Tunze osmolator - do I need one, or will this ATO work without extra equipment?
How thick is the glass on the tank? MP 10’s won’t work with 1/2” glass

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds likse an awesome start, definitely for you're first set up. As far as adding rock as you go you can but ime adding it all at once I had one cycle. Adding more, not 1 or 2 prices, but a few, caused my tank to cycle each time I added. That was 4 or 5 prices at a time. I did find a great product that sped up the process and greatly improved my bacterial bed and that was turbo 900. Good luck and happy reefing

Thanks, I hadn't considered that - sounds like adding the majority of rock in one go at the start will be easiest, then.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back