Setosa SOS

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all R2R, bought some sps frags last frag swap and everything doing really good except my setosa, last night saw the Setosa skin was kind of loose and falling off, checked all my parameters and was everything in range, salinity, temperature and ph was in range too. My params:
T: 79-80
Salinity:1,025 (water change every 2 weeks with coral pro from RSM.
Ph: 8,3- 8,1
Ca:460
Alk: 10
Mag: 1,380
Phos: 0.03
Nitrate: .5
Monnia:0
Dosing all the RSM reef care, reef energy and reef colors according to their dosing instructions.
All corals are doing pretty much great, normal growth and colors.

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this morning the whole setosa frag was all bleached just removed but not happy at all!!!!

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with this.
My corals react when I have my PO4 and NO3 low like your numbers and the Alk gets above ~8.5.
I raised my NO3 to 3-4ppm and kept my PO4 at 0.4ppm give my tank a little wiggle room if needed but still try to keep my Alk 7.5-8.

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently leave the setosa exposed to air for a period of time (water change, fragging, mounting, etc.)?
I've observed that the setosa does not form a very good slime coating like other SPS and is a lot more sensitive to air exposure. If I have a piece out of the water too long, it loses some flesh, but will eventually recover. Now, if I'm ever working with it (water change or fragging), I occasionally splash it and it's fine. I doubt this variety of monti lives in tidal zones.

For the most part, the setosa is a tank of a coral and keeps it's color well in a variety of lighting conditions and water parameters. So, I don't think it's due to your alk. The only other time I've seen the setosa fade was due to exposure of H2O2 (though, it eventually recovered from that as well).

OP
OP
sromero287

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for the comments, suggestions and experience. Unfortunately my beauty Setosa died and will be picking another frag tomorrow but this one will be a branching Setosa, never had this one before but a local friend has a gorgeous colony and will frag for me a piece. Hope this one has and comes with better results!!!!!!!!!"
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422589487.216422.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back