Setting new tank up

jimbo32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and great too be here I’m after a few answers I’ve been doing marine tanks now for over 3-4 years and this is the first time I’ve been really stumped on what too do for the best I’ve got a new tank a 200 gallon and my wife !! Has told me that it has too go where the old tank is in situ I know corals out first and then fish and rock my problem is this new tank is sumped so this will take longer too set up and I do have a very busy rl my question is how long can coral live in a large plastic box with power head and heater but no light and when it comes too the fish will they be ok in a similar situation in a large 50ltr Tupperware box (do have a old jump guard too hand ) I would say at the longest the fish might be out of the tank 3 day at the longest and also have dr Tim’s one and only ready also new sand and 30kg of live rock in a heated bucket with power head to me I’m stressing out over it being a lot too do but it probably isn’t also will b heating my salt water before bringing it into the tank too speed everything up hope too have a bit of clarification of you guys and thanks you

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jim, and welcome to R2R!! :)

I would suggest to have some type of light over the corals, in regards to the fish. You will be fine without light for 3 days.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

You can easily hold fish and corals for several days in newly setup tank. I agree that the coral can go without light for a few days, but, I also agree it would be better to have a light for the corals as it will help them. If possible, I would try and shut down and setup you holding tanks on the same day so you can put the water from the old tank in the container that will hold the corals. If you have any extra rock, I would put it in the old tank now and allow it to be seeded before setting up the holding tanks so you can use it in the holding tanks.

Though it is a lot of work, its not as bad as it sounds. Once you get started you will see what I am talking about.

Congrats on the upgrade!!!

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back