Setting up a reef at a school

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a 20 gallon Waterbox aquarium from @SaltwaterAq !
My kids are in a 2 day a week hybrid school and I am thinking about setting it up in school to help the kids learn and appreciate reef tanks.
I have plenty of coral I can frag and can buy the supplies needed to get it up and running with black Friday sales at saltwateraquarium.com but am wondering:
What would I do with the tank in the summer?
Is this a good idea?
What else am I not thinking of?

Thank you!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s a great idea . But … if you don’t know someone such as a janitor or someone to let you in through the summer it would have to be moved ( to your house )

or …… raffle it off at the end of the school year to help the school raise money for items or upgrades needed for the school .

I’ve thought of doing this same thing for many years . . Also thought of setting one up in a Childress hospital or doctors office

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the summer a small tank like that you could bring home there and back

Its an amazing idea! The kids would love it. What grade?

Wc could be difficult and the basic gear will need outlets

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the summer a small tank like that you could bring home there and back

Its an amazing idea! The kids would love it. What grade?

Wc could be difficult and the basic gear will need outlets
It is a K-12 school. I am sure I could probably find a home in my house for it for the summer, but I am about out of outlets to be honest haha, I currently have 3 reef and 3 freshwater tanks set up. I am a bit worried about WC but I am thinking maybe bring and empty 5 gallon bucket and one of mixed water?

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s a great idea . But … if you don’t know someone such as a janitor or someone to let you in through the summer it would have to be moved ( to your house )

or …… raffle it off at the end of the school year to help the school raise money for items or upgrades needed for the school .

I’ve thought of doing this same thing for many years . . Also thought of setting one up in a Childress hospital or doctors office
A raffle is a good idea, it would be nice to be able to play it forward as much as possible. I love @SaltwaterAq and am grateful for the tank, however I feel like I should make as much of it as possible.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a K-12 school. I am sure I could probably find a home in my house for it for the summer, but I am about out of outlets to be honest haha, I currently have 3 reef and 3 freshwater tanks set up. I am a bit worried about WC but I am thinking maybe bring and empty 5 gallon bucket and one of mixed water?
I remember seeing a school years ago with a rabbit and Guinea pigs as class pets .
the students of each class were responsible for helping with keeping everything clean .
Feeding and water changes for a aquarium kinda scares me …

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing a school years ago with a rabbit and Guinea pigs as class pets .
the students of each class were responsible for helping with keeping everything clean .
Feeding and water changes for a aquarium kinda scares me …
Yes I was thinking auto feeder, or older kids classroom as allowing kids to do as they want scares me too. However I think it would be a cool learning experience, however am worried as I am not sure most kids could afford a reef set up...

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A raffle is a good idea, it would be nice to be able to play it forward as much as possible. I love @SaltwaterAq and am grateful for the tank, however I feel like I should make as much of it as possible.
If not a raffle . Keep track of who helps and appreciates it the most . And gift it at the end of the year .
A raffle seams to fit a bit better ( only the ones that want to care for it at their home would buy a ticket

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not a raffle . Keep track of who helps and appreciates it the most . And gift it at the end of the year .
A raffle seams to fit a bit better ( only the ones that want to care for it at their home would buy a ticket
That is a cool idea, of course I am a bit concerned as I spend a decent amount on my reefs and not sure many kids can afford a reef....

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was thinking auto feeder, or older kids classroom as allowing kids to do as they want scares me too. However I think it would be a cool learning experience, however am worried as I am not sure most kids could afford a reef set up...
It would be nice to have in the class for sure .
Could a higher grade classroom incorporate some sort of reefing. Corals or reef building part into the curriculum ?
If a younger grade level I think there are many benefits of having a tank ….

there was a study I read a few years ago when I first got into reefing about positive effects of having aquariums in homes with children with many different diagnosis

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cool idea, of course I am a bit concerned as I spend a decent amount on my reefs and not sure many kids can afford a reef....
We both know The initial setup is the most costly .
maintaining can be costly but not even comparable .

If this is something you’re willing to invest into , setup and let it go or if you’re in a position where the setup wouldn’t set you back the smile on the kids faces is worth it …

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has this idea been proposed to the school to see if they will allow it in the classrooms ?

it’s possible they might shoot your generous idea out of the sky

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has this idea been proposed to the school to see if they will allow it in the classrooms ?

it’s possible they might shoot your generous idea out of the sky
Just sent an email a few minutes ago.
Will have to see what they say and will update you all soon.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy of email fingers crossed he says reef!

Good Evening Amos,

I have been blessed with winning a 20 gallon aquarium and was wondering if you would be interested in setting it up in a class room either as a saltwater reef tank, or a fresh water aquarium?

I would be willing to buy the equipment needed to get it running, and if you decide on reef tank have plenty of coral that can be fragged to get a good start.

Please let me know if you feel this would be beneficial, or if you would like to discuss further.

Thank you,

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy of email fingers crossed he says reef!

Good Evening Amos,

I have been blessed with winning a 20 gallon aquarium and was wondering if you would be interested in setting it up in a class room either as a saltwater reef tank, or a fresh water aquarium?

I would be willing to buy the equipment needed to get it running, and if you decide on reef tank have plenty of coral that can be fragged to get a good start.

Please let me know if you feel this would be beneficial, or if you would like to discuss further.

Thank you,
To back your presentation I’ll look for the same articles which lists and talked about each benefit of having a aquarium

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no response back haha, I am guessing he will go for it. I am thinking maybe an anemone (I have plenty of) and a clown fish pair(let the kids pick) and then some coral I have a large selection that are over due for fragging. All I would need is a decent light, a heater, and some salt to start with? I have plenty of extra salt, maybe the following light although I am a Kessil person normally:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/9...-app-control-w-free-mounting-arm-current-usa/

A dosing pump, for the future and some all for reef.
What else am I missing that I should buy now for black friday?
Thank you!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no response back haha, I am guessing he will go for it. I am thinking maybe an anemone (I have plenty of) and a clown fish pair(let the kids pick) and then some coral I have a large selection that are over due for fragging. All I would need is a decent light, a heater, and some salt to start with? I have plenty of extra salt, maybe the following light although I am a Kessil person normally:
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/9...-app-control-w-free-mounting-arm-current-usa/

A dosing pump, for the future and some all for reef.
What else am I missing that I should buy now for black friday?
Thank you!
Before getting too far ahead . I would wait to see if you have somewhere to set the new tank up .

this gives me a idea for the 3 black boxes I have ……

All I would need is a tank and salt

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before getting too far ahead . I would wait to see if you have somewhere to set the new tank up .

this gives me a idea for the 3 black boxes I have ……

All I would need is a tank and salt
If you are looking to set up something in a school I bet @SaltwaterAq would probably help you out with some deals.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back