Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!

Are the rocks touching the glass? I'd suggest moving it from the glass so you can reach in the back for cleaning and such.
I am not going to clean the back. I am going to let coralline algae grow on the back. The glass cleaner can clean all around the front and sides though

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a new skimmer. I got the Reef Octopus BH 50.
I still need a light and powerhead though.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a powerhead!! I got a jebao RW-4 from my LFS. I still am not sure about a light but I am leaning towards SB reef lights

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it works out. Still up in the air on my 20long. Been procrastinating and no rush so haven't really done tons of looking around. Been kinda following yours. Lol
Lighting is definitely hard to find for a 20 long because of its length. I will keep you posted to see if this one works out. I am feeling pretty good about it :D

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a firefish, cleaner shrimp, 2 trochus snails, 2 nassarias snails, and 2 hermit crabs!!! I left the lights out just to let them settle in all night so I don't have any pictures

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations!! :)When is the new light coming in?

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all pretty impressive, especially considering you're only 14 years old! I love the motivation and ingenuity behind this school project. I'm so impressed I would love to be able to make a donation towards this experience. Did you ever set up a GoFundMe page? If not, let me know what is on your need or wish list and I'll see what I can do. Good for you and continue being awesome! ;):)

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all pretty impressive, especially considering you're only 14 years old! I love the motivation and ingenuity behind this school project. I'm so impressed I would love to be able to make a donation towards this experience. Did you ever set up a GoFundMe page? If not, let me know what is on your need or wish list and I'll see what I can do. Good for you and continue being awesome! ;):)
Thank you so much for your kind words!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had a bad day :(. When I got to school I found both my firefish and cleaner shrimp dead
It was a very sad moment as I hate killing things. I am still not sure why they died. All my parameters were fine and I acclimated them well. It is just a very depressing day :(

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I'm wondering if the tank was maybe not fully cycled before you added livestock? It's a process that can take several weeks or more. You may not have had enough time for the colonies of nitrifying bacteria to become established, enough to support the bioload. It's never fun losing our livestock but it's part of the learning process. :(

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I'm wondering if the tank was maybe not fully cycled before you added livestock? It's a process that can take several weeks or more. You may not have had enough time for the colonies of nitrifying bacteria to become established, enough to support the bioload. It's never fun losing our livestock but it's part of the learning process. :(
I started with LR, live sand, and old water change water from my LFS so it already had bacteria. I also ghost fed the tank to keep the bacteria alive. My ammonia and nitrites were 0 when I added them.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this, no stray voltage going on is there? Just grasping as I know how careful you are.:(

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back