OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank, no matter what you are starting off with, live rock, live sand, dry rock, used water, etc will go through a Nitrogen cycle. This is called 'cycling' it is usually a 30-40 day process that is pretty much unavoidable. Until this process is complete, adding livestock will usually result in death or harm of the fish. You should buy a multi-test kit from the LFS that covers Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia. First the ammonia will spike way up then get broken down into Nitrite, eventually that gets broken down into Nitrate. When the Nitrate subsides then it is all ready to add fish.

You should use your kit to test every couple of days to track the cycle and know where your tank is at in the process. There's some pretty helpful videos that I'll link to that explain this.

Cycling is definitely one of the more boring and un-fun parts of the hobby. But use the time to research and gather some more equipment. If you take your time and do your due diligence your tank will blow everyone away! :)

I know what a cycle is. I have set up several tanks of my own. I am just wondering why you would think it would go through a cycle if I used live rock, live sand, and water that had bacteria in it. I also ghost fed to keep the bacteria alive.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I know your on a budget so I would suggest an ammonia badge. They aren't terribly expensive and you can look at the tank and get a reading. Thin you've probably used them before...
Athats the main thing you should be concerned about for fish health. Nitrites and nitrates aren't toxic to marine fish. Check out Randy's article on nitrite for more info on it not being toxic until you get really high numbers
They probably would effect shrimps though...
Thank you

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what a cycle is. I have set up several tanks of my own. I am just wondering why you would think it would go through a cycle if I used live rock, live sand, and water that had bacteria in it. I also ghost fed to keep the bacteria alive.

Even if you took live rock, sand and water (which water has minimal beneficial bacteria in it) you could of still had a cycle.
Moving the rock and sand can kill off some bacteria or even small critters living in the sand or on the rock making a small cycle.

Api test kit is about $30 and a very valuable tool for a new tank getting started. Id recomend purchasing it and a refractometer (the swing arm salinity meters are junk)

Good luck with your build

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you took live rock, sand and water (which water has minimal beneficial bacteria in it) you could of still had a cycle.
Moving the rock and sand can kill off some bacteria or even small critters living in the sand or on the rock making a small cycle.

Api test kit is about $30 and a very valuable tool for a new tank getting started. Id recomend purchasing it and a refractometer (the swing arm salinity meters are junk)

Good luck with your build
Thank you for all of your advise. I will do a water change and let it sit for a little bit.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things going today with the tank? :)

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think of how long the light should be on? I was thinking 12 or 11 hours a day. 3 hours of blue in the morning and at dusk. Blue and white in the middle of the day. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think of how long the light should be on? I was thinking 12 or 11 hours a day. 3 hours of blue in the morning and at dusk. Blue and white in the middle of the day. Thoughts?

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to think Above Seahorse Reef for there generous donation of $100 worth of CUC, gorgonians, plants, etc. I am thinking about getting this package-
http://snailstoyou.com/collections/...aner-crew-snails-blue-legs-with-free-shipping
What do you think? Should I go bigger with the 40 snails and crabs?-
http://snailstoyou.com/collections/...legged-hermit-crabs-cleanercrew-free-shipping
I was also thinking about getting some of the plants for my fuge!!-
http://snailstoyou.com/collections/...ing-brush-halimeda-codium?variant=13998693063
I might also get a purple finger gorgonian because they are photosynthetic (I think). Do you think my light could handle one?-
http://snailstoyou.com/collections/.../sea-whips-and-gorgonians?variant=13954921991
I might also get a fighting conch if I have enough food for him :D This is so exiting!!
You may not want to add such a large CUC. For 20 L you can get by with about half of the 40 pack

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not want to add such a large CUC. For 20 L you can get by with about half of the 40 pack
Thank you. I am just going to add a couple snails and hermits. I have already added 4 snails and 2 hermits.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts?
I would start of with less until you have photosynthetic animals in there, maybe 8-10 hours, 2 hr sunset/rise. Try to keep the uglies from getting too much light. Then see how the corals respond and increase the photo period if needed.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am heading up to my LFS on Sunday and considering it is one and a half hours away, I can't go very often. Do you think if all my parameters were good I could add a fish? I have been ghost feeding.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am heading up to my LFS on Sunday and considering it is one and a half hours away, I can't go very often. Do you think if all my parameters were good I could add a fish? I have been ghost feeding.
Can you postpone the trip for a week or so? Id keep ghost feeding and test the cycle first. Have your test kits come in yet?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 41.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.0%
Back