Spenc_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a used Innovative 10G tank, it came with a skimmer, heater, light (Maxspect R420R) and I bought a Fluval Sea CP1 circulation pump and a water testing kit.

SO, I started off with live rock, and dry sand and put salt water that I bought from my reef shop that has a salinity of 1.026. I tested the water parameters the other day and everything was up, Im pretty sure the numbers were

20ppm Nitrate
.25 Nitrite
.50 Ammonia
7.8ph

Its been almost a week since I've set up the tank and I haven't added in anything else to the water. Just wondering what I should be doing next? Should I buy some FrtizZyms 9 to get good bacteria in there?

And what should I use to test the salinity of my water, I have a Fluval Sea that just sticks on the side of the tank but I'm told they're terrible, its telling me my salinity is 1.028+

And what should I use for Filter media?

annnnnnd I took my skimmer out for now, should I put that back in when I get some live stock?

annnnnnnd Ive been keeping my temperture up around 75F, 27C is that where it should be to start off with?

sorry for all the questions I just have a lot of questions that need to be answered.

Thanks in advanced :)

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! If you bought live rock, that had the bacteria that you need in it already. The fact that you are getting nitrate tells you the cycle is already on its way. Let the ammonia go to 0, then do a water change to reduce the nitrates, and you should be ready for fish :)

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For testing salinity, a refractometer is a good choice, something similar to this:

Salinity Refractometer for Seawater and Marine Fishkeeping Aquarium 0-100 PPT with Automatic Temperature Compensation

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and good luck on the tank!

Keep the skimmer off for a while and check out this thread for a good read on cycle..

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back