Setting up my tank

Spenc_

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
New Brunswick
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a used Innovative 10G tank, it came with a skimmer, heater, light (Maxspect R420R) and I bought a Fluval Sea CP1 circulation pump and a water testing kit.

SO, I started off with live rock, and dry sand and put salt water that I bought from my reef shop that has a salinity of 1.026. I tested the water parameters the other day and everything was up, Im pretty sure the numbers were

20ppm Nitrate
.25 Nitrite
.50 Ammonia
7.8ph

Its been almost a week since I've set up the tank and I haven't added in anything else to the water. Just wondering what I should be doing next? Should I buy some FrtizZyms 9 to get good bacteria in there?

And what should I use to test the salinity of my water, I have a Fluval Sea that just sticks on the side of the tank but I'm told they're terrible, its telling me my salinity is 1.028+

And what should I use for Filter media?

annnnnnd I took my skimmer out for now, should I put that back in when I get some live stock?

annnnnnnd Ive been keeping my temperture up around 75F, 27C is that where it should be to start off with?


sorry for all the questions I just have a lot of questions that need to be answered.

Thanks in advanced :)
 
Welcome! If you bought live rock, that had the bacteria that you need in it already. The fact that you are getting nitrate tells you the cycle is already on its way. Let the ammonia go to 0, then do a water change to reduce the nitrates, and you should be ready for fish :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new