Setting up tank on a hardwood floor. I need advice!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just about settled in to our new home and getting ready to get a new tank.

I had an IM30L for 2 years as my first tank. It was set up on a tiled floor.

I’m going to set up a Reefer 525Xl and it will be on hardwood flooring.

I’m assuming it will “sink” into the wood over time and am thinking about putting 2 x 2 inch x 1/8 thick aluminum plates under the feet of the tank to disperse the load some.

I would like to hear any experiences people have had with hardwood floors and a substantial sized tank.

Thanks!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a pvc/Acrylic liner under the aquarium. It would look nicer than plywood and would protect the wood. you could get a 4x8 sheet cut to what ever size you need.
I don't have wood floors under my aquarium, but just giving an idea. You will want to wait on others to chime in. I would want the weight dissipated out as far as I could
personally. You can also have tile insert installed where your aquarium is going. That is what I would do. There is going to be spills.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a pvc/Acrylic liner under the aquarium. It would look nicer than plywood and would protect the wood. you could get a 4x8 sheet cut to what ever size you need.
I don't have wood floors under my aquarium, but just giving an idea. You will want to wait on others to chime in. I would want the weight dissipated out as far as I could
personally. You can also have tile insert installed where your aquarium is going. That is what I would do. There is going to be spills.

Thanks! I need all the ideas I can get. I’m also thinking about those clear plastic mats that go under office chairs.

I’m hoping more folks chime in with some good advice

Thanks for responding

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used carpet tiles, rubber backed. I just put them on the corners of the stand. Seems to have worked

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having gone that route, my issue was, " How do I dry up the water that has splashed or otherwise been spilled and is not under the stand?"
Can you get the tank and all assorted goodies without the stand?
Possibly have someone weld a steel stand or have a carpenter build one out of 2x leaving enough height between the stand base and the floor so as to be able to wipe up any water.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on spills and you don't want water to go beneath the plastic. I'd tile a pc of plywood iwth a border and some sort of trim to hid the plywood and put that where the tank will go and even have it larger by 12-18 inches or more to catch drips from arms, turkey basters, fish nets, etc. and room for a step stool if you need it. You could even use tile to create a bit of a ridge as long as you don't trip on it....

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a 3/4" 4x8 sheet of acrylic and taper the edges into the floor. Super neat and will dissipate the weight. You could trim the 4x8 sheet down as well not to be too bulky.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Design the stand so you can get air flow under the stand. Any water that splashes under there must be able to be dried. If your stand is totally in direct contact with the floor underneath (or you put something under the stand between it and the floor), water will stay underneath and slowly destroy the floor.

PEP12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of hardwood floor do you have, strip, block, or mosaic and what wood is it Oak etc as some hardwood are harder than others, plastic carpet protector will not work, i would suggest you use 3mm exterior plywood and use either screws or a strong double sided tape to anchor it in place as any water spilled on to it will buckle it in time if it is left loose on your floor, you could cover the plywood with a 3mm adhered vinyl plank, Karndean or similer to make it more acceptable and it can easily be wiped if water is spilled on it, you will of course need a transition strip around it to advert tripping, hope this gives you help. i am in the flooring trade .

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water damage comes to mind. It’s not if, but when. Consider tile flooring now while it’s easy. You’ll have peace of mind.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas everyone! I definitely have a lot to think about. Once I fill it up, I plan on it being there a very long time.

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180g set up directly on solid bamboo, on a slab. The only thing in contact were the 2x4s that made the base of the stand. 4 years later we moved, and you could not tell that the stand was even there.
On the reefer, does the stand have individual feet or is it just the base of the stand?

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180g set up directly on solid bamboo, on a slab. The only thing in contact were the 2x4s that made the base of the stand. 4 years later we moved, and you could not tell that the stand was even there.
On the reefer, does the stand have individual feet or is it just the base of the stand?

That is a very good question. I have asked and am waiting for the answer. I am on a slab.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need air under the stand for a wood floor. Otherwise you trap moisture under the stand. If you spill, paper towels can be fished under easily. I use the sticky backed felt feet under my stand just under the corners. I can move my tank if needed by sliding it. {75 gallon}
My one question is... Is the floor sealed or is it worn? Sealed is better.

Danst1r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protect the floor from spills. Because the last thing you want is for the wood to rot. Also make sure with your placement of the tank that it will be spanning multiple floor joist to help distrube the weight across the subfloor. The floor joist typically run perpendicular to the direction of the hardwood floor installed.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need air under the stand for a wood floor. Otherwise you trap moisture under the stand. If you spill, paper towels can be fished under easily. I use the sticky backed felt feet under my stand just under the corners. I can move my tank if needed by sliding it. {75 gallon}
My one question is... Is the floor sealed or is it worn? Sealed is better.

The floor is sealed and like new as it is only 2 years old.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protect the floor from spills. Because the last thing you want is for the wood to rot. Also make sure with your placement of the tank that it will be spanning multiple floor joist to help distrube the weight across the subfloor. The floor joist typically run perpendicular to the direction of the hardwood floor installed.

I’m on a slab so I am OK there. Thanks

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back