Severe tail fin rot

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently purchased a small High Hat, he's doing fine, eating and swimming around in the TTM bucket, but his tail is rotting real fast.
I had dosed Kannaplex and Stress Guard into the bucket, today is the first day of dosing.
Some of my friends told me that this kind of tail rot is very lethal and I should be prepared to lose the fish... Any ideas from R2R?

6eb1765b432fb4a1afb7af7d17d812c.jpg bae8c99d600154b22c37b50e2837c92.jpg

Attachments

• 0433adee8c26096a4ce4c7648d9359d3.mp4
    5.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is not rot but aggression that is infected
Two things to do will be:
Find out who is picking on him
Treat with Maracyn 2 OR ruby rally pro which is reef safe
Best way to locate aggressor is to set your cell phone on video mode and prepare a small feeding as this is when aggressive fish gets mean
Set the video for about 30-45 minutes and walk away as the fish will know you’re there
Come back and review and you should be able to tell who it is

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not rot but aggression that is infected
Two things to do will be:
Find out who is picking on him
Treat with Maracyn 2 OR ruby rally pro which is reef safe
Best way to locate aggressor is to set your cell phone on video mode and prepare a small feeding as this is when aggressive fish gets mean
Set the video for about 30-45 minutes and walk away as the fish will know you’re there
Come back and review and you should be able to tell who it is
his bucket mates are a clingfish and a tobacco basslet... haven't really see any aggression yet but I will set up my cellphone to recording while I go for grocery tomorrow to see if anything happens

Since I had already dosed kannaplex, is it okay to dose ruby reef rally pro to the water?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My springer damsel got a injury on its tail that turned into an infection. I had to treat it aggressively with NFG for 14 days (did 30 min dips at more then 2x strength tbh but double strength is what is recommended for dips) and it even stopped eating for a week but she survived. Only half of her tail grew back as the infection went to the boney area.

If this is indeed progressing to infection. I would say you need more than kanaplex. Furan 2 is hard to find these days.

Here is what I used as dips. It contains methylene blue so don’t be alarmed when the water is very blue.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My springer damsel got a injury on its tail that turned into an infection. I had to treat it aggressively with NFG for 14 days (did 30 min dips at more then 2x strength tbh but double strength is what is recommended for dips) and it even stopped eating for a week but she survived. Only half of her tail grew back as the infection went to the boney area.

If this is indeed progressing to infection. I would say you need more than kanaplex. Furan 2 is hard to find these days.

Here is what I used as dips. It contains methylene blue so don’t be alarmed when the water is very blue.

Thanks a lot for the link!! I was always looking for furan-based meds. SERA had a good one but I can't find it anywhere, I think nitrofurazone will also work, had been using this back in China...
But anyway the meds won't get to me until next week, I guess I have to stick with kannaplex and perhaps dip with ruby reef rally? Since I don't know if I can mix kannaplex with ruby reef rally

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
his bucket mates are a clingfish and a tobacco basslet... haven't really see any aggression yet but I will set up my cellphone to recording while I go for grocery tomorrow to see if anything happens

Since I had already dosed kannaplex, is it okay to dose ruby reef rally pro to the water?
Yes on ruby. You can phase out kanaplex and keep rally pro do it’s thing

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:
Checked off the fishies last night, the heater leaked!!!! Fortunately it didn't blow up or leak power to the water. Swapped it with the heater from my coral QT tank.

Seems that High Hat's infection has been suppressed?? No more bloodlines and seems that it didn't go further into the tail.

Attachments

• 8789ffbfeade69ecd984afb94004be6.jpg
    8789ffbfeade69ecd984afb94004be6.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on ruby. You can phase out kanaplex and keep rally pro do it’s thing
So just ruby rally reef along will do its work? I was always worried about ruby being not powerful enough since its reef safe. I used to use formalin dips to tackle bacterial infections back in China.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just ruby rally reef along will do its work? I was always worried about ruby being not powerful enough since its reef safe. I used to use formalin dips to tackle bacterial infections back in China.
Sorry - I've been sick and just woke up. Looks from the picture that the infection may have slowed, but that is REALLY fast for an antibiotic to have begun to work.

It almost certainly began as mechanical injury. Tobaccofish can be mean, but t hat one is too small I think. Clingfish can sit there and then rush out to bite, but more likely, the highhat has abraded its tail by constantly swimming around the bucket. One reason I don't use TTM is that it is pretty rough on delicate fish; having to live in a bucket, all exposed, and then being transferred bucket to bucket, can all take its toll.

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I've been sick and just woke up. Looks from the picture that the infection may have slowed, but that is REALLY fast for an antibiotic to have begun to work.

It almost certainly began as mechanical injury. Tobaccofish can be mean, but t hat one is too small I think. Clingfish can sit there and then rush out to bite, but more likely, the highhat has abraded its tail by constantly swimming around the bucket. One reason I don't use TTM is that it is pretty rough on delicate fish; having to live in a bucket, all exposed, and then being transferred bucket to bucket, can all take its toll.

Jay
Hope you are getting better Jay!
I practice TTM because I like butterflyfish, and a lot of them couldn't withstand copper. TTM also helps with ammonia intoxication in my experience.
Anything I can do on the abrasion? I have some huge linen bags that I can fit in the 5 gallon bucket, will that help?
Planning on recording the bucket to see if there's any aggression.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It takes longer than most meds but works

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
can kannaplex and ruby reef rally be used together?
The reason I would not is kanaplex treats fungal and bacterial fish diseases such as dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemia through absorption. Ruby Rally does the same , so in essence you are doubling up. I would go one or the other.

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I would not is kanaplex treats fungal and bacterial fish diseases such as dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemia through absorption. Ruby Rally does the same , so in essence you are doubling up. I would go one or the other.
understood

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you are getting better Jay!
I practice TTM because I like butterflyfish, and a lot of them couldn't withstand copper. TTM also helps with ammonia intoxication in my experience.
Anything I can do on the abrasion? I have some huge linen bags that I can fit in the 5 gallon bucket, will that help?
Planning on recording the bucket to see if there's any aggression.
I'm not sure that linen bags wouldn't just cause entanglement issues. One thing might be to keep the light levels low to reduce the fish's stress.

I routinely treat butterflyfish with Coppersafe, and have never seen an issue with that.

Jay

OP
OP
Ocypode sinensis

Ocypode sinensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that linen bags wouldn't just cause entanglement issues. One thing might be to keep the light levels low to reduce the fish's stress.

I routinely treat butterflyfish with Coppersafe, and have never seen an issue with that.

Jay
I kept the lid of the bucket on, but I don't seal them.

May I ask what species of butterflyfish? Just curious to know more.
Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept the lid of the bucket on, but I don't seal them.

May I ask what species of butterflyfish? Just curious to know more.
Thanks!

Off hand, I've used Coppersafe routinely on Pyramids, Klein's, C. lunala, Pakastani, Auriga, all Atlantic species, Forcipiger, Heniochus, etc. I typically handle copperbands and obligate coral feeders differently - I put them into non-fish, coral systems and just observe them....and cross my fingers (grin).

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back