Sfin's Dream.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also looking at these. @F i s h y this one is for you.
Those will work. :) unless they won't fit in your holes in the tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it is all set up will it be hard to have access to the bulkheads? And your holes will not take sch80 bulkheads anyways so that's not really an option unless you wanted to step down in size but even then it's not a good idea:)

Honestly no need to run dual one inch herbie drains, I don't believe you plan on running 2500+ GPH through your sump but I may be mistaken.:p If you want the returns can be run using two of the 1 inch pipes in the overflows. Just trying to keep your options open
In a perfect world maybe, But I don't think two, 1" Herbies will handle 2500 gallons per hour. A single straight one inch pipe will drain about 1100 in perfect conditions. Add all the plumbing back to it turns restrictions and such. The number of drops pretty quickly.

On top of that, there is the redundancy for one to carry the load in case of an issue with the first, Plus if you are only running both of your mains at 30-50%, You should get a lot quieter operation overall than trying to run two at max capacity

Last edited:
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered those first for inside the overflow and they would not fit in my holes.
You all three made good points going with the ABS. They look like what came with my tank.

Thanks for all the help it truly is amazing. So many different ways to do it.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world maybe, But I don't think two, 1" Herbies will handle 2500 gallons per hour. A single straight one inch pipe will drain about 1100 in perfect conditions. Add all the plumbing back to it turns restrictions and such. The number of drops pretty quickly.

On top of that, there is the redundancy for one to carry the load in case of an issue with the first, Plus if you are only running both of your mains at 30-50%, You should get a lot quieter operation overall than trying to run two at max capacity
But you aren't trying to run both at max capacity, even if you are correct about the flow rates, which we will have to agree to disagree with.

Regardless, even if both were tuned to 500 GPH per drain there is no need to run 1000 GPH through a sump on a 100 Gallon tank. And a Herbie drain is self reliant. That's the whole point of the design aside from being quiet is that the secondary drain at max siphon will cover any clogs in the main line.

Having two is no more reliant than one. It just means you are tuning two drains for no reason, wasting money on a gate valve that's not needed, trying to force 4 pipes into a sump where typically people only use two for a regular Herbie and spending more money on plumbing. Just seems like a complete and total waste to me. One Herbie drain will easily Handle all the flow that is needed and be virtually silent.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you aren't trying to run both at max capacity, even if you are correct about the flow rates, which we will have to agree to disagree with.

Regardless, even if both were tuned to 500 GPH per drain there is no need to run 1000 GPH through a sump on a 100 Gallon tank. And a Herbie drain is self reliant. That's the whole point of the design aside from being quiet is that the secondary drain at max siphon will cover any clogs in the main line.

Having two is no more reliant than one. It just means you are tuning two drains for no reason, wasting money on a gate valve that's not needed, trying to force 4 pipes into a sump where typically people only use two for a regular Herbie and spending more money on plumbing. Just seems like a complete and total waste to me. One Herbie drain will easily Handle all the flow that is needed and be virtually silent.
Well articulated points made and taken.

I fully agree with you there is not a necessity to run two. To me it would be a creature comfort and there's not enough reasons why not to.

Personally I have no problem running 1000 GPH through 100 gallon tank. I'm throwing 1800 to 2000 through a 180 so at scale it's pretty much the same.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I fully agree with you there is not a necessity to run two. To me it would be a creature comfort and there's not enough reasons why not to.

Personally I have no problem running 1000 GPH through 100 gallon tank. I'm throwing 1800 to 2000 through a 180 so at scale it's pretty much the same.
I am doing the same with my 2x 180s and sump. Being as I have a macro heavy sump, the flow is much appreciated by the macros lol. I run 2 full siphons, one on each side and an emergency on each side. Tuning is a slight pain, but once set, it is done. Moving that much water, nothing can really build up on the gates to slow it down.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me it's about keeping it cheap and simple for @sfin52, first time plumbing can be daunting enough and only having to worry about one drain might be a nice thing. I still feel if he needed he could get close to 1000 GPH on one drain but that's also not really needed (IMO).

You are right though, everyone has a flow they like to push through there sump and everyone is different.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should still have two emergencies ?

So, as discussed above, you have a few options at your fingertips.

Option 1 - (Dual Herbie) Take each overflow and set them up as individual Herbie drains. That means each overflow has a fill siphon drain (With preferrably a Gate valve) and a Secondary/Emergency drain. Running your return line/lines up the back and over the top. I believe most of the pros and cons of this have been discussed above. If you run dual Herbies, you absolutely need two Secondary/Emergency lines UNLESS your total flow between the two main siphons is less than what the one Secondary/Emergency can handle on it's own. Then you could go with one Secondary and one as the return line.

Option 2 - (Single Herbie) Take one drain from one overflow and make that your main siphon line, and one of the other drains in the second overflow your Secondary/Emergency Drain. Using the two other drains (One in each overflow) as returns. You can reduce these to 3/4" if you wish to up the velocity of the returns without upping the flow.

Option 3 - (Modified Bean Animal) Use one drain in one overflow as your main siphon, A second drain, ideally in the other overflow as your Secondary and a third drain as your Emergency line. Using the last drain as your return line.

Option 4 - (Dual Dursos) As it was setup before. Really not ideal as this is difficult to tune and keep quiet.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 3 - (Bean Animal) Use one drain in one overflow as your main siphon, A second drain, ideally in the other overflow as your Secondary and a third drain as your Emergency line. Using the last drain as your return line.
I was just thinking and writing this out as well.

Stefan, you've got multiple options. Whichever one you choose to run with, you've got peeps that can help.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 3 - (Bean Animal) Use one drain in one overflow as your main siphon, A second drain, ideally in the other overflow as your Secondary and a third drain as your Emergency line. Using the last drain as your return line.
You just blew my mind with this statement. Never even realized bean animal was possible outside of a bean animal overflow box…
Follow up question; would the return size plumbing be the same size as the 3 drains in this scenario?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just blew my mind with this statement. Never even realized bean animal was possible outside of a bean animal overflow box…
Follow up question; would the return size plumbing be the same size as the 3 drains in this scenario?
It can be. I'm running 1" bean animal, and 1" return on a way overpowered dc pump, running low speed. In this setup, the pump will overpower two 1" full siphons if turned up. I'm running my main siphon gate Wide open.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely they are, I edited my post above as I prefer to call these (And even the external overflow BA's) Modified Bean Animals as they are not the origional design but a modified version that follows the same basic principles.

Ideally all three pipes in this situation on the drain lines are the same. Returns can be sized however you see fit and can even be smaller if you wish as long as you size your pump properly to compensate for the added friction a smaller pipe creates (Not ideal, but can be done). One could also use larger pipes on there secondary and emergency lines if they wish. However not really needed as a full open line will always handle more flow than a slightly choked main siphon line of the same size.

At the end of the day, Your main siphon drain should be sized to handle 100% of your planned return flow. So whatever that flow goal is, it needs to be matched by your main siphon size. From there your extra drains should be of equal size or greater. When it comes to returns, they should again be sized to match your flow goals. Ideally with the least friction in mind within reason to keep your pump options as wide as possible.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely they are, I edited my post above as I prefer to call these (And even the external overflow BA's) Modified Bean Animals as they are not the origional design but a modified version that follows the same basic principles.
@SaltyT

So if you go with the Modified BA, You can call your parents and tell them you finally got that MBA They always wanted you to get!

Back