SG measurement: ICP vs. TM vs. refractometer

Gone Reefin’

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2025
Messages
395
Reaction score
549
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have performed all 3. Popular opinion states TM hydrometer as the gold standard. However, in my case, it is the outlier data point. I have measured all 3 ways. Both refractometers consistently show 1.027, and both show identical reading against BRS reference solution. ICP results came back at 1.0275. The TM hydrometer consistently reads lower, at 1.025. This in an in tank measurement will all flow off.

Temp is 77.5F. I know it’s not a big difference, but I am targeting a higher SG and just trying to reconcile the discrepancy. Do I continue to trust the gold standard (figure of speech of course)?
 
Who did the icp? Maybe they used refractometer. lol

FWIW, while I think the TM hydrometer is a great tool for the money, it is by no means the gold standard. If a high quality lab wanted to measure salinity, they use conductivity.
 
You may be right! Triton conducted the ICP.

However, according to the almighty AI, they use a calculation based on ICP readings of individual elements, rather than direct measurement of salinity or SG. Not sure if this helps to solve the discrepancy or not…or increase the reliability of the reading for actionable purposes.
 
I find the temp drop trying to use the hydrometer is crazy. By the time I drop it in the graduated cylinder, its already like 5 degrees cooler which when I was trying to use it, threw it off too much.
 
I think the main advantage of the glass hydrometer is its consistency.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new