Huenemedoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody!

I started this build for a few reasons.....

1. It was super fun!!!!!!
2. Space requirements
3. Higher nitrates for mushrooms and softies

I definitely encourage everyone to try a build like this at least once! With a little patience and organizational skills it was actually a pretty easy to do build.

I started with getting some double strength, 1/8th inch glass from my local Ace hardware. They had a professional grade glass cutting table there and cut it for no extra charge. I paid about 23$ for all five sheets (20x10 1/4, two 10x7s, two 20x7). The glass sits on top of the bottom and each piece is 1/8in thick. Also at Ace I got some number 1 GE 100% silicon, and of course some masking tape.

14D1C9C8-DE43-4A96-B1ED-2460CF57D8D2.jpeg

After gathering my supplies, I began masking. Two things to notice are the pattern which I taped and the distance from which the edge of the tape is away from the glass. I left about 1/4 of an inch of space near those edges I also put some extra pieces to hold the glass together once everything was together.
53011DC1-CCE3-47F8-98E7-633FB1166DCB.jpeg

Moving to the silicon stage, I ran a rather thick bead along the bottom and up the sides of each piece (honestly I went a little overkill just to be safe). I then let it sit for 3 days because I was out of town, 24 hours would have been fine.

4E69C1F2-EC05-4A49-9099-67A3361EAC87.jpeg

After the silicon had cured and the tape was removed I did a 24 hour water test with fresh water
38F88EFD-9DDF-4024-A6BB-F9A96691D525.jpeg

Then it was ready!!! So I added a self leveling mat to the bottom, put it in its home, began with the scape and then went to adding the equipment.

For the aqua scape I super glued two pieces of super cool dry rock that I found at Aquarium City in Van Nuys and broke up some old dry rock I had laying around with a hammer for the rubble. I wanted a rubble bottom because this tank is going to be 80% mushroom specific. before putting the rock in, I used a nice corse pink live sand as a base. in total I used about 10 pounds of rock (6 in the water) and 10 pounds of sand. I did this because my only filtration for the take is water changes which I am guessing will be about ever 2 weeks but depends on nitrates. I aiming for somewhere between 10ppm and 20ppm.

For the equipment I found two cool little 80 gph power heads on Amazon, a 160gph Hydor pump, a 50w Aquaneon pre set heater and a new HD prime 16 light (which comes in later this week).

And this is what I ended up with!

97B929E1-AA7A-4C2A-8DF0-755C225CE823.jpeg

I am still tinkering and like I said before, new AI Prime on the way :)

OP
OP
Huenemedoe

Huenemedoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the pumps....The main pump is in the back right corner and provides great flow and also due to its placement pulls and pushes the water from behind the structure. One of the power heads I hooked some tubing to and placed right next to the other pump to aid in pulling that back corner out. The hose of the pump I put threw a hole in the top of the which pumps water through all the pores creating the look of a rock you would find in a tide pool. My hope is over time it creates trails of algae over the rock.

Here is a link to a little video of the top of the rock

I will be adding more photos and videos of this build as I go along and would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back