Share 6line experiences

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my girlfriend fell in love with at 6line wrasse at the LFS lastnight debating on weather not to surprise her with it after work share your experiences good and bad

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most will say they become a terror when older. Here is the description from the "all about reef safe wrasses" article.

P. hexataenia “Sixline Wrasse”: Commonly available, inexpensive. Just like the rest of the genus, usually becomes quite the bully. Great for pest control however. Does not play well with other wrasses.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my bio cube years ago and loved it. Very active wasn’t aggressive but I didn’t have him for more than a year do to my bad husbandry.

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... I don’t have any other wrasses I’ve wanted a Pygmy wrasse but can never fine them how bout 2 clowns,firefish, yellow watchman

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously had one and the wrasse can have its moments. Mine wasn’t a bully to the whole tank because it was kept in check by the damsel. The only thing it paid attention to was the pair of clowns....Once the pair would separate he would attack one clown until they paired up again. Overall he was a good fish.

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously had one and the wrasse can have its moments. Mine wasn’t a bully to the whole tank because it was kept in check by the damsel. The only thing it paid attention to was the pair of clowns....Once the pair would separate he would attack one clown until they paired up again. Overall he was a good fish.
Idk if I want to risk my clowns:(

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience. Had mine for just about 1 year in my 29 gallon biocube.

Tank mates are 2 clowns, 1 cardinal bangai, a fire/blood shrimp, some hermits and snails. He's been a model citizen so far. He's fat and happy, and whenever I come into the room he comes up to the glass and flashes his dorsal at me...kind of cool that he dances for me :)

One of my clowns (the female) died about 4 months back, and I had to replace with a small baby clown to get them paired up again, and he never went after him at all.

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience. Had mine for just about 1 year in my 29 gallon biocube.

Tank mates are 2 clowns, 1 cardinal bangai, a fire/blood shrimp, some hermits and snails. He's been a model citizen so far. He's fat and happy, and whenever I come into the room he comes up to the glass and flashes his dorsal at me...kind of cool that he dances for me :)

One of my clowns (the female) died about 4 months back, and I had to replace with a small baby clown to get them paired up again, and he never went after him at all.
Female pass because of 6line aggression?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope Like I said girlfriend fell I love with one at the fish store last night

Every fish is different but If you do end up getting one get it as your last fish

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for 4 years, then one day it went absolute rogue on my anthias. Had to get rid of the wrasse. Traded the 6line to get a McCoskers fairy wrasse.

edit: this was in a 90 gallon tank mind you.

Last edited:

flooddc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for small tank: if you don't plan on adding anymore fish, then it's ok. They are very territorial once established.
other than that, they are gorgeous fish and fun to watch as they constantly swim around the tank in search for food. Also, get a pair if you can find some juveniles (must add the same time).

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're super cute, but temper varies fish by fish. I had one that picked on my other wrasses and i had to tear the entire tank apart just to remove it.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female pass because of 6line aggression?
Nope. Female had something really weird happen where she couldn't close her mouth for about a month, and finally passed. Nothing to do with the sixline. The clowns and 6line all hang out in the same corner of the tank together. Looks like I got a good one (knock on wood)!

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for small tank: if you don't plan on adding anymore fish, then it's ok. They are very territorial once established.
other than that, they are gorgeous fish and fun to watch as they constantly swim around the tank in search for food. Also, get a pair if you can find some juveniles (must add the same time).
It will definitely be my last addition to the tank

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will definitely be my last addition to the tank

But will it be your last addition ever? By that I mean if you were to lose something it would probably be hard to replace. Sixline's are one of my favourite fish and I'd never be without one but mine lives on its own for a reason. I'm normally the poster boy for misunderstood species, with a soft spot for damsels and dottybacks, but even I find it hard to ever advise a sixline for a normal community tank. In your case the firefish would be most at risk. If you want harmony in your tank consider the pink streak wrasse or something else instead.

For those that haven't had trouble with their sixline I'd suggest you are either very lucky, haven't had it long enough or keep it on its own like me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back