Shark info

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any info on keeping the more common sharks that anyone has to share? I already have a brown banded bamboo but am looking for another and any info anyone wants to share . Ive looked online and cannot find any that are still in the egg. Anyone with any leads on where to find one? Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any info on keeping the more common sharks that anyone has to share? I already have a brown banded bamboo but am looking for another and any info anyone wants to share . Ive looked online and cannot find any that are still in the egg. Anyone with any leads on where to find one? Thanks!
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

For a general overview of sharks in aquariums, Scott Michaels has a good book. Looks like $10 on Amazon used.

Brownbanded bamboos get very large and are quite active when they mature.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

For a general overview of sharks in aquariums, Scott Michaels has a good book. Looks like $10 on Amazon used.

Brownbanded bamboos get very large and are quite active when they mature.

Jay
I will take a look at that one thank you for the info!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral cats (Atelomycterus marmoratus) are very similar to bamboos care wise. They are a little smaller, but more active so require roughly the same size aquarium. I wouldn't keep an adult of either species in anything with a footprint smaller than 8'x4'x18" LxWxH. I had a coral cat in a 180 gallon (6'x2'x2'), and he quickly outgrew that tank. They will use every square inch of the tank at night

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral cats (Atelomycterus marmoratus) are very similar to bamboos care wise. They are a little smaller, but more active so require roughly the same size aquarium. I wouldn't keep an adult of either species in anything with a footprint smaller than 8'x4'x18" LxWxH. I had a coral cat in a 180 gallon (6'x2'x2'), and he quickly outgrew that tank. They will use every square inch of the tank at night
Isn't this basically like living in your closet? Belive I read a long time ago that sharks do better in a tank with rounded ends. This way it's closer to being a racetrack type tank and it's easier for them to swim in.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this basically like living in your closet? Believe I read a long time ago that sharks do better in a tank with rounded ends. This way it's closer to being a racetrack type tank and it's easier for them to swim in.
Yes, it is pretty small. Hence why I sold mine. However, I regularly see sizes smaller than that quoted for bamboos and coral cats. An 8x4 is much larger than most end up in, and at least gives them space to move around. The longer I keep aquarium fish, the more I've moved away from the big guys and more into larger groups of smaller fish. My favorites are a moorish idols and regal angels, and I wouldn't keep either in anything smaller than a 180 gallon (6x2x2) after watching them in my 180 and my 380. When I was younger I preferred monster fish, now I prefer the little guys. Much better suited to 99% of aquarium keepers.

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is pretty small. Hence why I sold mine. However, I regularly see sizes smaller than that quoted for bamboos and coral cats. An 8x4 is much larger than most end up in, and at least gives them space to move around. The longer I keep aquarium fish, the more I've moved away from the big guys and more into larger groups of smaller fish. My favorites are a moorish idols and regal angels, and I wouldn't keep either in anything smaller than a 180 gallon (6x2x2) after watching them in my 180 and my 380. When I was younger I preferred monster fish, now I prefer the little guys. Much better suited to 99% of aquarium keepers.
I agree. My bamboo is getting grown out in a large pool as soon as he's a little bigger. I think a kiddie pool type set up is probably the only way to keep the smaller sharks comfortably. I'm looking for another and wouldn't say no to a coral cat. Hoping to find another bamboo sometime soon though . Epaulettes that are captive bred would be nice too. I was looking at 300gallon stock tanks but I think bigger is better for these guys.

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a guy in NJ that I get my sharks eggs from. Pretty cheap too. Look up CNK underground gardens LLC. He's a great guy with great prices and ships. He gets zebra shark eggs for $500, already hatched for $2,000 if you wan't something real crazy.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone mentioned this above. But SharkandReef located in Socal has shark eggs for sale (including Eppaulette eggs!)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a guy in NJ that I get my sharks eggs from. Pretty cheap too. Look up CNK underground gardens LLC. He's a great guy with great prices and ships. He gets zebra shark eggs for $500, already hatched for $2,000 if you wan't something real crazy.

Definitely want to stay away from zebra sharks - they easily reach 8' and grow quickly ( reaching 3' in three years). In addition, zebra shark hatchlings have a history of poor hatching, or dying for unknown reasons during their first year.

You'll be stuck when it outgrows your tank; public aquariums won't take it from you if it's a male, (they fight) and may not take it if it is a female due to unknown provenance. And then, they are listed as endangered by the IUCN.

There is a project some public aquariums are working on to produce eggs from known pairs and then repatriate them to Indonesia.

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone mentioned this above. But SharkandReef located in Socal has shark eggs for sale (including Eppaulette eggs!)
Do you know anyone who has ordered from shark and reef? I just bought another coral cat egg a few days ago but an epaulette egg could be interesting

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went on their website. I didn't see any epaulette eggs :( I've never had an egg shipped, I'm always nervous about air getting in during shipping. The farthest I've driven for eggs was 3 hrs lol

OP
OP
J

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went on their website. I didn't see any epaulette eggs :( I've never had an egg shipped, I'm always nervous about air getting in during shipping. The farthest I've driven for eggs was 3 hrs lol
Didn't see any either and I would prefer to get them as eggs. I have ordered eggs twice(coral cat) they both came fine, no air bubbles. I have had air bubbles in my coral cat egg towards the end right before hatch but I didn't move the egg around at all and it hatched fine. I have another egg waiting to hatch soon hopefully it doesn't have any issues. I had a yolk break on an egg from handling it so I don't touch them or handle them at all until I can tell the yolk is completely gone.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back