She is done!

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to quote the "Grateful Dead"......What a long strange trip it's been.
Many of you may have seen my various posts about having this tank for well over a year before I could even start setting it up. New home contractor FINALLY got all the floor issues corrected, so my fun could begin.

93 gallon cube tank before start of build, with Artfully Acrylic top:

Tank.jpg

Tank after custom stand build:

Finished_project.jpg

Then the light's mounted to the wall:

hanger_2.jpg

This was my first venture into LED lighting so I went cheap just to see how I (and the tank liked them) They are DsunY lights, yes from China. Much to my surprise I love them and they have gotten some good reviews.

Then comes the plumbing:

20161214_135716.jpg

20170110_153606.jpg

After that the aquascape:
Front:
20170121_131809.jpg

Right:
20170121_131830.jpg

Left:
20170121_131820.jpg

First frag from my old tank, it's not much but is a good tank test.
20170121_131847.jpg

Looks like a little green algae is starting, but that does not surprise me. Went out on a limb Saturday and got a Royal Gramma and he/she is alive, snooping around it's new world and more importantly it's eating.

Running:
Cebera Controller
Reef Octopus CLSC-110 Ext skimmer
Reef Octopus Cr140D calcium reactor (ARM substrate)
Vectra M1 return pump
Gyre 130 wave maker.

This entire build has had me fighting my cat's being in my way. Guess they got tired of it and this how they look at me when I have spent more time on the tank then with them: :)

20161231_154324.jpg

It's been a long road,but it's finally done.

This is the first tank I have built with all equipment under the tank, "Boss" made it VERY clear it better be silent. I'm more than happy to report that all you hear is the occasional noise of the calcium reactor crunching up some CO2 bubbles.

I have been in this hobby for 40+ years, It all started with a 10 gallon when the newest technology was a underground filter and who knows what was in the salt. If you could keep a starfish alive for over a month you had a great tank. I, like everyone in this hobby always wants to move up in size. I moved from the 10 to a 20 long to a 55 to a 75 to a 100, the last tank I had a 200 before this move, and at my age am just as happy to downsize. My brain is still 20 years old but my body reminds me I'm 62 every day.

Will keep you updated as everything settles in.

Thanks for listening and looking. Opinions are appreciated just so I can show the "Boss" what others think. Guess that's not fair, she missed the live art as much as I did but she made her rules very clear. I still don't think I could have slept in the tank as she threatened if it did not meet her rules.

Have a great "Live Art" day:
Rick

Last edited:

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick, it looks fantastic! I love the custom stand and I also own one of those Artfully Acrylic covers and they are top notch. Have a blast with the new tank and happy reefing! Can't wait to see it evolve! And your cats are just too cute. ;)

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. Patience is always the key to success!

OP
OP
Richard Schmidt

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragon99:

Will get back with you. The boss saw the tank stand and concept, looked at the lights then ordered them without me knowing. I had to modify them ( they were light hangers for a normal incandescent light bulb) but I think they look great with the distressed hardwood stand. Forgot to mention all 3 sides of the stand are removable and made out of distressed hardwood flooring.
Kind of like my distress with my home build contractor.

Last edited:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!! Love your kitties, too! :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back